Odd Network Config - Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr. Cheesesteak, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

Jan 27, 2005
    I currently have a setup that basically goes like this:

Internet -> Wireless Router -> iMac -> PC (Connected by ethernet/ internet connection sharing to iMac)

There are also numerous other things connected to the router, all of which perfectly. Everything connects to the Internet with no issues, including the PC.

Now, the issue is that no computer except for the iMac recognize the PC as being part of the network. I realize this is probably because the iMac is basically acting as a router for the PC, but I assume there has to be a way to make it visible to the other machines.

Is there a setting somewhere I am missing that I need to change to make this happen? Or is it just a no go?
  2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    You would have to add a "route" to the PC (or the network the PC is on) to the routing tables of each of the other computers. Each of the OSes has a way to do this. Yes it's a pain in the rear end to have to update all those tables. That's why they invented dynamic routing where your router(s) broadcast what they can route to ad this infomation propogates router to router.

Bring up a terminal window and type "man route" to read about the routing table and "man routed" to read about keeping the table automatically up to date.

Mac OSX, Linux and UNIX all work identically and Windows has something that does the same job.

What you have is the simplest possable network where a default routing table will not work. The default table would hold two routes. One for the local network that points t the network interface and another route that point to the router's IP address.

Running routed may be over kill but it make it easy.