Odd Networking behaviour?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dhc, Oct 26, 2006.

1. dhc macrumors regular

I think I've done something which I don't know how to reverse.

A little while ago I followed some instructions on how to network with a windows PC, which was all well and good and successful(I can't find these instructions now). However, when I now try to connect to other Macs (via the network icon in the sidebar in Finder) instead of listing the available machines on the network, I get two folders that I don't think were there before - 'My Network' and 'Work Group'. (see pic). Can someone brighter than me suggest how to revert this to the 'normal' behaviour of clicking on the Network icon, and being presented with the available machines in the finder? :confused:
    network.jpg

Also, when I do try to connect, I get a slightly different 'log in' screen (see below pic) - what have I done wrong/what should I do to correct this?
    log.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, the first bit is normal. The folders show you the different domains. I don't know why your computer is using FTP access for its network connections, but you can probably remedy this by turning off FTP Access in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. :)