Odd Optical drive problem (will not read cd's)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heath, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Heath macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2005
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone with a bit more troubleshooting experience than I can help me out.

First of all, the problem:
    I have a 1.25ghz Mac mini with 1 gig of ram and a Pioneer DVR-K06 optical drive running Tiger with all the latest updates.
    It will no longer read cd's of any sort, blank/burnt or factory pressed. It takes them into the machine, attempts to spin up, makes some noise for about 20 seconds, then spits out the cd.
    It will read dvd's of any kind though, but this wasn't always the case (more on that later). The cd will not mount.

Now, what I've tried to do to fix it:
    I've checked the console logs, no messages when I put in a cd while it's doing its thing before it spits it out.

I tried putting in a blank dvd to make sure it could still read those, it read one, then wouldn't read any more.
    After that I zapped the pram, and it read dvd's again but not cd's.

I don't have time to manually mount a cd before it gets spit out.

I've adjusted the preferences for the cd in the system preferences and it made no difference.

I've tried unhooking all non essential hardware and rebooting with only the keyboard/mouse/monitor connected, makes no difference.

Before I do a fresh install of the OS I wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas of what to check.

Additional information:
    The optical drive is less than 2 months old and was working fine up to this point. The ram I put in has been working for almost a year with no hiccups.

Things that I think may have had some kind of part in this:
    I did put in a copy protected CD prior to all this which ripped fine and put the songs into iTunes, but I have read about copy protected CD's causing issues with some Macs, but they don't match my problem. It's just a thought.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Heath thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2005
    Well a fresh install of the OS didn't help at all. I'm thinking the only thing left at this point is a hardware problem.
  3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    Have you access to an external drive ?
    If so that will prove if the problem is hardware or software, but i think it sounds like a faulty drive.

4. juicedupmac macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2007
    Me too!

I've got the same problem with same drive DVR-K06. Bl00dy thing! I've been copying music from cd's, burning dvd's and all of the sudden it stopped reading or writing cd's

I've done a search on google and i see a few people have had the same problem.

Were you able to get replacment?
  5. Heath thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2005

Well, it was the drive. After 5 months of bungling by my local computer shop I have a working optical drive again.
    Avoid pioneer is the solution it seems.

Props to the people at OWC however, I ordered a replacement drive through them and received it 5 days later and it has been working flawlessly so far.
    The replacement drive they sent is a Panasonic and not a Pioneer.

So in summary, Pioneer bad, Panasonic good, OWC, great.
  6. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

May 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    that happened to me after that it will stop reading DVd's.

There is only one thing to do and is to buy a new drive, sorry