odd problem with HD space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derajfast, Aug 20, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i had about 3gb of spcace on my HD before, and ive been downloading a torrent but the torrent i am positive is being saved to the network, not the hard drive....but now it says i only have 3mb of space left on my harddrive...so i thought maybe the files were saving by mistake, but i searched for them with spotlight, and it ddint find anything.....i dont understand what could be doing htis and why i cannot find the files either....

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably some cache/temp file somewhere. Try MainMenu to clear cache and/or reboot.

BTW, it's not your boot drive (aka Startup Disk) that has only 3GB left, or even worse: just 3MB? :eek:

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

how do i clear my cache....i already restarted

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use some sort of maintenance tool, like MainMenu.

5. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

i also got delocalizer to get rid of foreign languages.....so i got rid of all the main ones....but there are others like "ko" "fi" zh_CN......what do i do with these?

7. rasjunk macrumors member

This might not be the case but some BT programs reserve the space so the torrent will be able to finish without running out of room

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is correct - depending what client you are using, sometimes the entire file size is reserved on your hard drive no matter what, whether you've just started downloading a torrent, are only downloading certain segments of a torrent, or whatever. I was downloading a 56 GB torrent one time and although it took a week, Azureus allocated the full 56 GB on my HD as "used" to make room for the torrent the instant I started the torrent. :cool:

9. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

clearing caches

most likely you'll want to clear the temp files from the mainmenu screen along with ALL caches...that should clear it up...try the temp files first, as i would think that would be were it "should" be

10. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

right but like i said i saved it to the network which isnt the hard drive.....and yes it does reserve the space for the entire fiel, but it does so on the network.....not on the hard drive....and when i search for the torrents i downlaoded, nothng shows up with spotlight

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Interesting... Which torrent client are you using?

12. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

azureus...but ive never had this problem before with it.......i think once these files finish downloading im going to delete azureus and then reinstall it.....would this clear up any of thsoe temp files??? i used mainmenu to try and clear those up but it didnt really do anything

13. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is very frustrating! i am continuing to download the torrent, but my space gets smaller and smaller....i managed to free up about 1.6gb and now im down to 1.1 and i dont know why!! i deleted azureus now, but it didnt free up any space......im so frustrated

14. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

It's hard to tell without knowing your system specs but it sounds like your system is using allot of virtual memory and or page outs.
    3 gig of hard drive space is not enough for OS X.
    I suggest you move some stuff you don't use as much on to your network drive or somewhere else.
    Take a look in Active Monitor and see what is taxing your system so much.
    Good Luck!

15. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I've had similar issues with my HD previously, a couple of times: whole 10s of Gb disappearing without a reason. It wasn't related to Torrent though, as I don't use this software. Anyway, it might help, maybe your problems are not related to Torrent at all on your machine either ?

For some odd reasons, I would end up with a HUGE log file in my library/logs folder (10-60Gb). No idea about the reason, some bad end of a corrupted file I suppose ? Anyway, the mess would clear up after some time, as the log wouldn't be archived anymore.

I tracked it down one day, by checking the size of my folders: which one was too big for its intended purpose. Maybe you can do that on your HD, to try to single out a huge temp file somewhere ? Its position might tell you which app it comes from.

Regarding the logs, check the archive logs. I think MainMenu proposes to clean up the archived logs anyway.

A.

16. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Btw, whatever the original size of your HD, 3Gb is awfully small for a safe system, you should generally keep a more. Maybe a time for backing up important stuff before hitting the wall ?

Good luck.

17. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

its a 60gb HD.....how much space should i leave?

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo