OEM Discounters

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JNB, Mar 31, 2007.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

"oemdiscounters.com is your source for windows xp, windows xp pro, Microsoft windows xp, buy windows xp, office 2003 pro, ms office 2003, ..."

First: Whois is your friend

" Registration Private
    (480) 624-2599 Phone
    (480) 624-2599 Fax
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States
    oemdiscounters.com@domainsbyproxy.com "

Anytime a company goes out of their way to remain anonymous, that is not a good sign.

They are hosted offshore

"200.46.235.2 hostingpanama.com"

Also not a good sign if the company advertises a US address; in general companies host offshore to evade US law and make it harder to pursue for remedy.

Also: I have not (and will not) click on the link to the company.

But in general "OEM Software" is spam code word for "pirated software"
    For years, software pirates have been claiming that software companies charge way too much for software and that "OEM" versions without packaging and manuals are available for 60% - 90% off. It is a lie.
    OEM is a legitimate industry term "Original Equipment Manufacturer" and some software is sold as bundles with computers (Like the discounted version of Windows that comes with a Dell). However, those software are not available for separate sale (would be against the EULA) and again in general without reference to the subject website, most if not all software advertised as "OEM" is a shabby excuse for pirated software and cracked serials.

Then:
    Google is your friend: this shows people talking about how the company offers XP Professional, no activation required, comes with Office 2003 free, for $59. Seriously, OP, do you even have to ask the question??

http://www.macnexus.org/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=94&func=view&catid=15&id=6651

Their advertisements and affiliate sites are all over the Web

"Windows XP Pro $59.99 · Bonus: MS Office 2003 Pro Free Ships in 24 hrs or Less"
    "Microsoft Office: $11.95"
    "Purchase operating systems by download"

You know that the only way to offer so cheap is illegal piracy, don't you?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

whois tells us that the domain was registered 05-Jan-07.

The dealer sells a license key generator for Windows, and also as this lovely FAQ item:
    I wouldn't touch them with someone else's ten foot pole.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I will warn everyone to be vary wary about dealing with Royal Discount Software. My company is now preparing to file a criminal complaint, and civil action against them. I purchased 80 Terminal Server CALS from them (~$6000.00). We could not activate them. Microsoft believes them to be previously activated and resold. We tried for months to get them to make things right. Now, we will see them in court (and hopefully jail).

5. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

The domain registrar is Go Daddy - that's their address. I have several (former) coworkers go to work for them. 'nuff said.

I have been an OEM, I know what it means - the other term is "White Box." I have no problem buying OEM products, as an install onto a "new" CPU makes it an OEM install. BYO's are all OEM, the difference is my name's not Mike Dell.

Amazon & eBay both have OEM software, as well as Student/Teacher Editions. No moral or legal issues there.

Thanks for the quick responses and Saturday morning research. It was pretty much as I had suspected, just wanted a second (and third, fourth, etc!) opinion. Kinda like the new Harley from Poland for $4900...

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

:D :D :D :D

John, your first purchase doesn't need to be some pirated Windows software my friend, it needs to be a new keyboard.

7. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Either that or a LOT less coffee. Bad case of the yips this morning... :eek:

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Fail to see what relevance GoDaddy has to the site in question. They sold the individual the domain name for $9.99 ,,, that's it. They could just as easily got it through Joker, or Network Solutions, or Melbourne IT, or any other large domain registrar.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Most of what you said was true, but that's not. There's lots of legit places to buy OEM software, typically with the purchase of a non-peripheral computer component, such as a motherboard or CPU. Memory and harddrives often qualify as well.

To agree with you, though, that the discounts are anywhere near 50-90%, but you can save a few bucks. For the OP to see what he can expect to pay for a legit OEM copy of Windows: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

not available for separate sale

i.e. not available for legitimate purchase as a bare CD and key without hardware, and certainly not as a download

My main point is that "OEM Software" is the classic pirate come-on line.