of OSX crashes & booting into 9

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by big, Jul 31, 2002.

1. big macrumors 65816

big

For my 300th post, I thought I'd ask for some help!

so my G3 crashed (in OSX 10.1.5, Kernal Panic) and rebooted into 9 (after showing me the blinking ? mark folder), No problem... I thought, I'll just go into the control panels and swap that.

No OSX disk though! it dissappeared. after a reboot, then ultimatly a full shut down, startup process, then the OSX disk comes back up.

so I rebooted again into OSX, very very very slow... I redid he whole process above, now I'm in OSX. what gives? any suggestions? same experiences? Has anyone else noticed their software acting funny right before a new system is released (ie 10.2)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you tried Disk First Aid?

How about having run fsck -y under a OS X single user start?

If it fsck -y finds something keep running it until it finds no problems. Same with DFA unless it's something DFA can't repair.

If the above two find and repair something you might want to finish off with a fresh rebuild of the desktop under OS 9.

3. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

Ok, good reply, thanks...though do you mean rebuild the desktop of OS9 or OSX?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I usually end up rebuilding the desktop under OS 9, but I'm running multiple partitions and the OS X desktop rebuild under classic only seems to do the classic target drive.

5. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

to clarify, I have three drives..one is 9.2, the other 10.1.5, and yet the other a raid drive...oh real quick, under OS9, what's the keycommand to rebuild a desktop anyways?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Command-Option during restart, or near the end of the startup before the desktop appears - you can let most of the icons dance across the screen.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Command-s is single user mode for OS X, it'll come up in text mode and you can run fsck -y at the prompt repeatedly until it gives you no problems found.

reboot should restart OS X.

8. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

soooo amy other good mac commands to know like rebuild desktop, boot w/extensions off etc etc.. this could be helpful to all of us if we share huh?

Please include a brief explination