Of processors & processor speed.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RSengupta, Jan 11, 2005.

1. RSengupta macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2004
    I've finally upgraded my Blue & White Mac G3 from 8.6 to OSX & it now has 4 X 256MB of RAM.
    A friend of mine gave me a processor that he said he is certain is 450Mhz. However, it is registering as 350Mhz [which is what I had to begin with]. He was wondering if there is something I have to do with Jumpers in order to make it register [and function??] as 450Mhz . . . ???
    He's more knowledgeable about PCs than MACs & so I wonder if someone can tell me if there is a scenario in which one would have to mess with jumpers in order for a faster processor to register and work as such.
    The machine is running really well and all that - & I will eventually be getting a 1Ghz + processor but I'm curious.
    While I'm here - the processor I am looking at getting is listed under 'Accelerators' on the online store that has been recommended to me here and from which I bought my memory & the OSX upgrade . . . http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/ZIF-Upgrades/ . . .[PowerLogix PowerForce G3/1.1GHz (1100MHz) ZIF with 1024K L2 On-Chip Cache for the Power Mac G3 ].
    What is an "accelerator"? Is it a processor - or is it something that is used in conjunction with an existing processor?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I have a PowerLogix G3/800 upgrade in my Mac. It has a processor on a card with a few circuits to make it compatible with my current blue and white G3/400. The 400 MHz processor came out and the upgrade card went into the same ZIF socket.

I'm not sure whether the 400 MHz processor would work in a slower machine as a 400 MHz processor still.
  3. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

On machines of that period the CPU clock was controlled by jumpers that set the multiplier (vs the FSB clock). Your FSB is 100mhz, so your jumpers are currently set and 3.5 and need to be set to 4.5 to get the faster chip working at its rated speed.
  4. RSengupta thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2004
    Jumper adjustment

How is this done?
    I've never done anything like this before.
  5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, here's a guy with a "yikes" G4 which should be similar, except that you might not have all your jumpers in that one monolithic jumper block like he does. You could probably also obtain separate jumpers from old PC mobos and from harddrives.