of Superdrives Poll

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackpeter, Sep 14, 2002.

?

Do you own a Superdive?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

With rumors of a looming Spuerdrive update to the PowerBook line, I want to know how many of you currently own one.

If so, do you use it often? What for? Do any of you use DVD-RW for data backup? How expensive are the discs?

I'm in the market for a PowerBook, but not sure about the Superdrive just yet. If you like 'em, convince me! ;)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have a SuperDrive in my QuickSilver...but to this day I have never used it to write a DVD! :eek:

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never spent the $5 per disk to use the thing and I don't have a digital video camera or an analog-to-digital converter to allow me to use the Video8 camera I do have.

I expect that I will use one eventually as I plan to take a class or two in film production.

4. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, so far no one who's got a Superdrive actually uses it. Why should we be so hyped on it? Data backup is the only reason DVD-RW interests me.

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have a superdrive, I'm going to use it tomorrow for the first time, how much are dvd-rw disks?

6. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

i use mine......storage of mp3's.... storage of finished fcp project quicktime files......some fcp projects go to dvd (via DVDSP) rather than tape....if a glass master is to be created, i hire a pioneer s201 burner.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Got one

My dad has one, he used it to burn a DVD for a company...

This one company has a giant display in their store window of all their work (art) and it cycles through, but it looked like crap on the VHS, so they asked my dad to do it on a DVD.

It was pretty funny because they payed him 500 dollars to do it, and at the time, we didn't have a DVD burner, so with the money we bought the Pioneer A-103 and popped it in, and used iDVD :D

8. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. vniow macrumors G4

I think you can do it in OSX but I'm not sure, you'd have to talk to a Mac user for that. :p

If not then you can definately do it in Toast.:)

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

You better be able to because I don't have toast, in the unlikely event limewire springs to mind. Did I say that? I meant Macmall.com

11. iGav macrumors G3

eek indeed Mr verbose...... :p :p :p

Shame on you!!! :p :p :p

12. iGav macrumors G3

Mwhahahahahahahaha........ :p

Cheeky......... ;) :p :p

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My sincere apologies iGAV, I bow my head in shame :( :D :p ;)

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The SuperDrive is one of the best reasons to switch to a Mac. I don't have one, but my next Mac definitely will. My friend has one, and he uses it all of the time, whether it's for backup or for movie DVD's. Sure the discs are expensive right now, but so were blank CD's when they first came out. Within the next few years, DVD will become the main standard, and everyone will be scrambling to get a SuperDrive

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I couldn't resist. :D ;)

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

forgive me im not versed much in the video world but whats a "glass master" and whats a pioneer s201... whats it for and what does it do?

17. bombensington macrumors regular

i have a superdrive...i am/will using/use it with idvd to burn a dvd of wedding activities for my parents and grandparents (like picking stuff out, trying my dress on, the reception and wedding, etc) that i'm making with imovie.

dvd-r's are about $5 each, but i am sure the price will go down when the popularity goes up, just like cd-r's.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

>dvd-r's are about $5 each, but i am sure the price will go down when the popularity goes up, just like cd-r's.

Not if a faster disk burning speed is available for the DVD/CD-R. Then the slower one drops in price.

Before I decided to drop using so many CD-RWs, I was getting a sh*tload of 4x CD-RWs and 12x CD-R disks rather cheap. Yet 10x CD-RWs (technology during the time) in 5-packs cost about $15 at our local Staples a town over.

This was a while back, so I don't have recent quotes on disks.

19. JupiterZen macrumors regular

Re: of Superdrives Poll

When I bought my Dual 800 Quicksilver last year I budgeted on the Superdrive and got the Combo drive instead. And I wasn't sure about chosing DVD-RAM or DVD-R.

The standard is still a but fuzzy (DVD-RAM / DVD-R/RW / DVD+R/RW). But just a month ago I replaced by combo-drive with the Pioneer DVR-104 because I was not backing up my audio and video projects anymore.

They had just become to large for CD-R or JAZ (yes it still exists in some obscure places :) :) :) ) And I hate to put one project on multiple CD-ROM's

And I am very pleased with my new DVD-R/RW drive. When the projcet is not yet finished I use a DVD-RW and the finale one goes on a DVD-R

:cool:

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

even though i have been using apple products for more than 20 years, i still consider myself a low end mac user

ibook, my favorite, does not have a superdrive

but emac, a low end mac in my opinion in my price range, has superdrive now

then, by golly, what am i waiting for...he he

so many mags and people here seem to like the emac even though it does have a crt screen, but the price is right

i would like to see superdrive make it into both of apple's laptops one day...probably the tibook next year and ibook six months or a year after that

i guess one day superdrive will be considered a pretty normal option and not something high end

as of this post, the poll has the voters at 13 users of superdrive and 13 without superdrive so that's a good sign that superdrive is not something too rare

i don't like the rumors saying that superdrive will come as a separate add on unit with the tibook next month...it would be so nice if the superdrive was in the tibook...we will soon see in the next tibook revision

21. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

after the video is edited it is compressed to mpeg2. then dvd studio pro is used to create the interactivity. the interactivity is called authoring. at this point you can burn the project on a dvd-r. if the client wants just 10 copies you can sit there and feed blank dvd-r's into the superdrive. if they want 200 copies i'd send the project to a replicator. two ways of doing this. the superdrive in macs is unable to burn a thing called css blocks (this is a restriction purposely added), so dvd discs burnt by the super drive can't be used for mass replication. so you either burn using a pioneer s201 dvd burner or create a disk image and put it on dlt (tape). the pioneer s201 drive will put css blocks in. it uses a different type of dvd-r disc as well. a s201 disc won't work on a superdrive. so if you send a dvd-r burnt on a s201 to a replicator, they will create a "glass master".
    they aren't glass, it is metal! the copies you want are "replicated".....they are stamped with the glass master. replicated dvd's are the ones you rent or buy with movies etc. the s201 burners were around $4000 but i think they are cheaper now.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i use my superdrive to burn with both idvd and dvd sp.

i have only made one data dvd to backup video footage that had pieces too big to go on a cd... other than that it's been videos of whatever variety.....

i almost didn't get it, but then i thought "i may not want/need one now, but what about in a year or 2...?" so i got it. word

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't currently have one, but have used one in the past.

My next computer has to have one, for "backing up" PS2 games.

24. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Yep - I use mine pretty frequently. They are infinitely useful for archiving your data, particularly large files. Yesterday I filled 3 DVDs with crucial backups, which are going to a secure location, so even if my house burns down, my life's work will be safe and secure.

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You can get DVDR discs for .89 a piece or less in quantities of 50-100. Here's the catch though. The cheaper discs do not have as high a reflectivity as the more expensive discs. So they will not work in all but the very latest DVD players. So the more you spend on a disc in theory the more reflective it is and higher quality and therefore the more compatible.

I took a DVD home video burned by a friend on cheap disc that would not work in anyones DVD player except the ones in our Macs and I reburned it on to a better disc and voila it worked in normal DVD players.

Did you know you can actually buy mastering discs at $50 a piece.