off contract verizon iphone 5 activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmflo571, Oct 27, 2012.

1. jmflo571, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2012
    Im a noob when it comes to the iphone, i apologize if it has been answered before. So i plan on gifting a iphone 5, i have bought the phone through verizon with the month to month deal, so full price is what i paid.

Now when i recieve the phone can i cancel any established account (new account) that may have been created and give the phone to another person with an existing vz account without opening the box ?. And can that person activate it with their existing acccount (of course getting new sim).
    Or do i have to activate it and then cancel?

I am just not sure how this works on iphone/cdma/4glte phones from verizon. Is my yet to be established account only tied to the sim contained within the order or is the phone itself also tied to he account?
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2012
    still a little confused, phone is on the way but from i have learned so far is that the phone will work fine with any gsm carrier, but still dont know if there will be a problem with the other person that i am giving it to when they try to activate. I am just used to just swapping sim cards on tmobiles whenever i buy a new phone.