Off to Spain...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, May 7, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Well, I am off to Spain for a three-week trip. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to bring? Do?

I will be in Barcelona for the large majority of the time, so and things to do have to happen there or close to it.

It is a Photography trip, where are some good places to take pictures of?

Thanks a lot.

-idkew

oh- i leave the 9th, so don't bother replying after that, i won't be around to read it. lets hope no 970's come out for some reason while i am gone. :)

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Eat paella, drink wine, talk to EVERYBODY, take a siesta, watch the pretty girls, watch out for their brothers/fathers;), don't sleep much...

Drink bottled water and make sure the seal is unbroken in resturaunts. Take a good stomach remedy with you.

Watch out for the police if you're going to get loud, they can be a bit over-enthusiastic (note: can... usually they're cool)

Go photograph the cathedral (the one that's not finished yet), its beautiful.

Enjoy yourself.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

watch out in crowded areas for thieves! heh. my girlfriend's mom got pickpocketed on a subway or something...

of course, that happens in every country. just a heads up though. :) enjoy!

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Learn Spanish. :rolleyes:

Nah, just have fun, its a trip, remember that.

I mean unless your fluent you might want a pocket dictionary...

6. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

si, hablo español.

the problem, in barcelona, they speak catalon, or something like that. close to spanish, but not spanish. oh well, i will get by.

i am going to seriously miss MyTai, my powerbook. she is a good friend of mine, and three weeks is about two weeks longer than she has ever been off. the rest of the time, she is hard at work, slaving away for me. she treats me well.

she deserves the rest. my vacation is her vacation.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah why do they speak a differnt dialect of spanish?

Its weird but easily understandable.

Fanta is a must! :D
    They have tours and such... don't take too many of them many are boring, but a few are good.

8. noht* macrumors member

actually, catalan is not a dialect of spanish. it's a romance language of its own, and has more similarities to french than to spanish. you'll get through with spanish though.
    visit the mare magnum if you're going to be in barcelona. it's the weirdest club i've ever been to.
    the bernabeu stadion is also worth a visit. then sagrada familia, ramblas, the olympic hill.

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

thanks, i will have to look at mare magnum.

also, i realize catalan is not spanish, but i heard it was close... i do know a tiny bit of french, so that might help.

the others i think are on the itenary.

i'm getting excited!

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Unfortunately most people will be speaking catalan, as you already know. Without fail though, they will understand and speak castellano, so you should be fine. Besides, catalan isn't really all that hard to pick up, especially if you're comfortable with french.

It seems that most of the main attractions have already been suggested. There's a couple of other options though. Just outside of barcelona (about an hours' drive) is the Torres wine factory, where you can tour round their wine facilities, and even have a bit of a testing session ;) If you get a bit tired of everything in Barcelona, you could go to a waterpark :) My personal favourite has always been Aquarama, in benicasim. Been going there for my birthday for years now. It's on the east coast, just outside of Benicasim. Could be a good laugh if you're going with some friends.

I hope you have a great time.

11. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Well, I happen to live in Barcelona.

Catalan is one of the many latin languages in Europe. You could say it is as similar to Spanish as Portuguese (from Portugal) is, which IMO, is indeed quite quite similar, which means, that if catalan speakers speak slowly a native Spanish speaker will be able to survive pretty well. Someone from other part of Spain that would come to live here, and would be somewhat openminded (watch one of the two TV channels in catalan eventually, try to read signs and guess their meanings, catch common local expressions, etc.) would understand written and spoken catalan perfectly in about three months.

However, that would present a trouble for you if just catalan was spoken here. Spanish, from a possibly biased POV, is used as spreadly as catalan in person-to-person communication. And EVERYBODY here speaks Spanish (well, most of us consider ourselves both Castillian and Catalan native speakers) and will speak it to if you ask for it unless you have the bad luck to step onto an ******* (it is common to mix languages in a conversation or have one speaker speak in one and the other in the other, so do not expect that simply speaking in Spanish will do as a suggestion that you do not understand Catalan).

Official communication is another story, though. You will find most signs in catalan. However, written is even more similar to Spanish than spoken is, and you will understand most of them the very first day.

If 3 weeks seems like a lot to spend in the city, you might consider doing a trip to Montserrat, a really astounding mountain, with a shape I doubt you will have seen something similar to, which hosts an ancient (but quite modernized) monastery. There are regular trains and the trip takes around 30 minutes to get there. If photography is the aim of your trip you really do not want to miss that. That will take you the whole day.

In the city the nice places are obvious once you are there. You can hang out around the gothic quarter (which hosts the Picasso museum, and the Cathedral, the finished one :)) during daylight but do not go by there at night (not extremely dangerous but I guess there is no need to take any risk), passeig de gràcia, plaça catalunya, the harbour (both the old one and the new -olympic- one). You can go also to Montjuïc starting from Plaça Espanya, taking a (longish) walk until the Olympic stadium, El parc Güell, la Sagrada Família (Holy Family, Gaudi's "unfinished cathedral" ;-p), etc.

And please, please, please. Do NOT buy a mexican hat in Las Ramblas!!!!

12. elmimmo macrumors 6502

BTW, you do have dozens of internet cafe near Plaça Catalunya. For whatever use you might find...

13. maka macrumors regular

I am from Madrid, and love to go to Barcelona for vacations (I have some friends living there). I guess all the obvious places have been mentioned, but let me tell you, the gothic quarter is great, by day or by night, and I don't think it's so dangerous, just got to be careful for pickpockets, that's all...

There are some very nice places to eat if you appreciate good food and wine, I could tell you a few if you'd like to... and also, there are nice places with live music and to hang out at night... Just avoid most(if not all) the restaurants and bars that are in La Rambla, they are much too expensive :)

Also, if you like the countryside and have access to a car, the mountains towards the north, north east are very nice (although maybe it's easier to go to Monserrat, which is closer), and if you like the sea, the best beaches are around Girona as the sea around Barcelona is not that nice...

Well, enjoy!! :)

14. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

How long will you be in Spain? I hope that you will post pictures of your Trip?

I hope that you enjoy your trip. ;)

16. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

thanks for all the suggestions.

i will be staying in the el born neighborhood, which is in the gothic part of the city. i also have a trip to Montserrat scheduled already, so that sounds like a good idea.

definitly seeing gaudi's stuff. without a doubt. also the picasso museum, ( i am, after all, an artist, or at least i try to be one,) the olympic stadium and Sagrada Família are on my list.

17. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Don't stay longer than six months...

If you do you won't want to come back. :D

18. dstorey macrumors 6502a

if your going for photography go to many of Gaudi's buildings, they are amazing and a lot are in the city. My fav's are the park and the george and dragon building. Someone mentioned the bernabau stadium - you don't want to go there, it's in Madrid, go to camp nau instead it's home of the mighty FC Barca and much closer ;-) and bigger.

19. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew