off-topic: FIOS question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 67bmer, Jan 21, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Sorry, did not see an off-topic forum and needed tech advice.

No matter what I do to reduce my internet speed or channels on FIOS triple play will cost more because I loose "credits"... The only option is to reduce to the double play from triple play, TV-Internet.

Is magicJack good or bad?

Should I just get rid of the land line? Is there any reason to still have one?

2. macrumors 68040

chrf097

The only phone calls our landline gets are telemarketers. They're useless IMO.

3. macrumors 68000

4JNA

if you are elderly and need 911 seriously fast and accurate, land lines are the way to go.

dropped mine, went with a $9 cell line for a home phone and have not looked back. Bluetooth bridge to home phone = awesome! :)

the emergency/911 crowd screams every time a land line dies, i'm not so sure it matters. now my phone has its own battery backup system in a power outage... seems like a decent trade off to me and has been way more reliable than VOIP... (comcast sucks, here anyway, every where maybe).

best of luck to you.

4. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

You do not need a landline to call 911. I bought a plain old princess phone for $7 at Target.

If you want free phone service, try this http://obihai.com/

5. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I've been landline-free since 2002, although that was a bit ahead of the curve. It is hard to imagine too many situations that demand a landline; most of them involve either having awful reception at home or family circumstances that make a landline appealing.

6. AhmedFaisal, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>