Offensive Ad?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Punani, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I deliver the papers for my university. This also involves posting ads that get sent to us.

I received a call from my supervisor, apparently, a woman found the ads for the Harold & Kumar DVD to be offensive. And asked me to take them down as soon as I could.

They look somewhat like the unrated DVD picture:

[​IMG]

While I understand that they can be interpreted to be rather tasteless, I found requesting their removal to be a little extreme (I understand her position though). I don't go calling Blockbuster because I find a DVD poster in their window offensive.

I was just wondering what you guys think about this. Do you think it was appropriate for her to ask for its removal?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Someone who is offended by that ad must be unable to go out in public without constantly being affronted with offensive imagery.

I don't find it to be offensive. Dumb, but not offensive.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

eh... doesnt bother me, but yes, looks dumb. to each, their own. its always appropriate for someone to voice their opinions.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That movie should've come with a stoopid warning, but it was also pretty funny. And it's an attempt to actually feature asian americans in movies. Which I think is a good thing. Boohoo to whoever wanted the posters taken down.... :(

5. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

Actually this is made even more hilarious because we had a religious group on campus last year holding very "strongly" worded signs and just annoying everyone. The university sent out an email the next day saying that the university should be a forum for all stances and points of view regardless. So, an ad isn't valid for such claims?

As a postscript, I heard from a friend this group managed to almost get beat up a few days later at the University of California, Irvine as the school is around 75% Asian, and they were attacking Asians. :rolleyes:

6. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I have two questions.

1) Does this woman own a television?

2) Has she ever turned it on?

7. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmm if she did own a television wouldnt she be calling almost every tv network just because she is offended by whats on the tv.

Apparently this person is a little too pathetic and an embarrassment to the human race? No offense to anyone but I think she needs to either reevaluate what is actually offensive and not offensive or she could just simply keep her mouth shut and get used to the younger generation's taste.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its not that offensive, sure its not tasteful, but hey watch the news or tv or most movies now, tell me whats tastefull

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Everyone does not own and watch tv. cheers. :)

Will some find this DVD cover funny, Yes.

Will some find this DVD cover stupid, Yes.

Will some find this DVD cover offensive, Yes.

Will some care about this issue, Yes. While other will not.

Its all depends on the individual(s), how they are brought up, they morals and such. Some do not think anything of it, some will make an issues of it.

If it were a Male, instead of a Female placed in such a manner will people complain Yes.

No one wants to be portrayed as such an image.

Does this individual have a voice her opinion, Yes....and so are you. So if you feel that this image does not offend you great if you do complain about it with good reason.

I am neither for or against this DVD cover. :)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am not sure about your, however you sound like a teen or someone in they early 20's. Why do I say this, since if you had, lived, worked with children they minds are like a sponge. They do not know right from wrong unless taught, and having images or nude males or females is something you do not want a child to see, since they will mimic what they see not knowing the difference. :)

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

People get offended by a lot of things. The object in question is not offensive, it is how people react to those things. It is simply a matter of deciding not to be offended will the solution solve itself. Today's society is so screwed up, people need to relax.

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Wow that is like saying, "the water is polluted, however if you just choose to ignore that fact and drink it you will be fine." :rolleyes:

Next thing you know you are either resting in a hospital bed or resting 6 feet under.

Though the example given is not the same, your logic is twisted. ;) :)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*tries very hard to not giggle at the fact that this thread was started by someone who's screenname is "Punani"* :eek:

Hmmm.... I don't think you should excuse something just because it's common. But that standard is not totally irrelevant, either, is it? Is this level of sexuality in an ad uncommon, for a movie or otherwise? It seems to me that it isn't.

But you were right, when you said earlier, Maya, that one should complain for a good reason. I still have mine. It wasn't the greatest movie ever made, but it is quite possibly the most widely seen American movie that had two asians as its main characters. And I think the accomplishment of that should give it a little leeway....

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That is a strange coincidence indeed, someone what that name posting on an issue as such. :p

One is Asian and One is East Indian. And the movie was filmed in Canada. Eya talk about having no budget for this crap. I have seen independent movies with a smaller budget, no well know actors and the story and script was far better.

This movie comes across as a cheap knockoff of the same tiresome genera. :rolleyes:

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You think that's offensive. Use something like this next time.

(Note that this is a joke add, it contains no nudity and only slightly offensive language...)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hey! India is part of Asia. :D

Yeah, not the best movie ever. No arguments there. But still a step in the right direction. If our people can act in crap movies, slowly they'll get the idea that they can act in good ones too. ;)

Of course M. Night is a better poster child for the Indians in Western Cinema cause, but he's had a string of strikeouts recently.... :(

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd find something that actually is offensive and stick it on her door :D ...might give her some perspective ;) :D

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I didn't find that ad offensive. Again, offensiveness is simply a state of mind. You change your state, you change your perception of what is or is not offensive.

Does anyone remember when Madonna's "Like A Prayer" music video aired? Many people found it offensive, but today, it's pretty tame, not least of which, unoffensive.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was a kid at the time, but my recollection of the Madonna thing was that she got in trouble because she made two videos, and used one with Pepsi and then Pepsi got slammed for being associated with the other one. But people overreacted to that video. It had a lot of emotionally powerful imagery, like burning crosses and so on, but it was all used to convey a very pro-social message. It's one of my favorite music videos ever.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Ignore the request. If she complains again, tell her you are offended by her selfish request to have the ads removed. The problem is canceled out. ;)

21. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

I think this is not really the problem in our time anymore. Rather, the problem has become the "fear of offending." There is so much floating around about how to avoid making people feel bad or whatnot. I mean, in some places the losing team in a little league game gets trophies to boost their self-esteem!

Does this mean that trying to encourage and keep self-esteem is bad? Of course not, but it means that we have become a nation paranoid of liability and moving away from our comfort zone. The real question is how to break out of this and be able to deal with discomfort.

22. russed macrumors 68000

russed

you always have the common sence approach! :D

some people are just annoying. there is no way that the cover is offensive. not to start a political debate, but i bet she was either a raving feminist or a leftie!

23. panphage macrumors 6502

I personally find pictures of clothed males to be offensive. I will begin writing letters to everyone who publishes pictures of clothed males complaining that they are offending me and demanding the material be removed.

24. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I second that. I am so tired of people being offended by little things and political correctness. My response to these people, give a sh%t about something that matters or shut up.

25. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

well i am 19 so ... I the younger generation is bad in the older generation and can not be trusted?

I will just keep my mouth shut in this thread for now.