1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

'Offensive' car number plate banned

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jul 13, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

BBC News Link

To quote Brian Potter: "Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!"

What's the world (UK) coming too?

2. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't even know what to say...

3. mpw

At least PEN15 is still available :D

4. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You might think it's harmless, but it's snot.

5. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

wow, that took me back about 15 years!

6. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I always wanted Il1llI.

They'd need more than one glance to read my plate.

7. mpw

Wouldn't they just scan it as a barcode?

8. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The obvious question: why are the Edinburgh clan so sensitive about that word? What about everywhere else in the English speaking world?

9. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If they bad that think whats going to happen when they get to BO08, or SH11, or BO11OCK, or BU11SHT

I really need to get a life.

10. mpw

I saw "Bo08135" or something similar on a BMW 5-series a few days ago :D

I keep seeing a totally blacked-out black 7-series with "NAF 1"

...and while we're talking Reg. plates I while ago I saw a collection of Aston Martins with consecutive plates "AML 001, AML 002..." I think there were 9 in all.

LIVE UPDATE:
    Literally 20mins. after this post I was passed by a red Jaguar XJS with pimped body kit and obnoxiously loud exhaust with the reg "G 5POT" :D

11. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

It was banned for years though before the government decided to release a whole raft of previously banned numbers. I saw it on a black sports car once.

12. mpw

It must be a PEN15 that gets around a lot, cause it was on a motorbike a while ago. One of the British pro-riders was taken to court for shaving his PEN15, he took the corner off the 5.

13. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wonder what the probability that the driver's ever found it is :rolleyes:.

14. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Rag on Americans for "fear of nudity" all you want, at least we can put "snot" on most of our plates. :rolleyes: (SN07 isn't a valid combination in RI, but SNOT and SNO7 are.)

15. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

See, here's the thing – I really can't think of anyone who would be offended by this plate. At worst, there might be the odd childish titter but I can't imagine a tidal wave of enraged Scots writing angry letters to their MPs and MSPs over this.

16. Lau

I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. The only thing I can think of is that if they just ban anything that makes anything resembling a comedy word they won't get into discussions later whether T1T5 should be banned. But yeah, totally silly.

17. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd imagine that Grimsby will be either be covered by the Lincoln registration office, in which case their plates would begin with FR or FY, or if they're counting it as part of the old 'Humberside' area (don't get me started on that ;)) then they'll be registered at Beverley and thus carry either YV or YY. I'll leave it to your own mucky mind to see if you can get any offensive words out of those. :p

18. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

I imagine it sells for a fortune. I once looked at whether 15 H was available. It was - for about £30,000 if I remember correctly. No, I didn't buy it.

19. macrumors G4

dmw007

How could SN07 be "offensive"? :confused::rolleyes:

20. macrumors 68040

plinden

I don't think it's got anything to do with "snot" at all. It's political ... think about it - SN = "Scottish Nationalists" - and they trashed Labour at the last Scottish elections.

By the way, I lived in Northern Ireland some time ago, and one of the license plates prefixes is xAZ. So, one year it was "NAZ". I don't know if any "NAZ 1..." numbers were banned.

21. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The regional thing would explain it, though I'm surprised this hasn't happened before in different region/rude word situations.

I've copyrighted 81G T1T5 by the way.

22. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

When I worked on a DMV software development project, I spent one fun afternoon looking through the database that automatically rejects unallowed vanity plates. I was amazed at how big the database was and how many things were not allowed. My favorite:

867 5309

23. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:confused:

Someone has to ask...

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

What, is your google finger broken. ;)

Tommy Tutone.

Lethal

25. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:rolleyes: I tried very hard to see letters.