Offically hate Windows

Discussion in 'Community' started by blvdeast, Nov 27, 2003.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

10 minutes ago i had to reformat my hard drive for the 7th time in two years. I hate it. Now I have to re-create all my files. Stupid registery. I plan on buying the mac in janutaty after the SF expo, maybe they will lower the prices or have new models. Does the OS X have a registry?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well, I don't know why you would have to reformat 7 times in 2 years.

Being a windows/mac/both user I can say that even windows isn't THAT unstable. My PC has only crashed 4 or 5 times in the year that i've had it. Never had to reformat, although if I was the only one using this comp I would reformat just because it is good for the system.

But I know you will be happy with your Mac. It is almost a given that you won't have problems like this.

Good luck with all your computer needs.

(Hopefull there will be something good at MWNY because I too am buying a new mac :)).

scem0

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Windows XP made me switch. I was so annoyed with the slowness. I have a computer in my kitchen and I like to walk by, tap the mouse and surf. Well when the computer has been idling all night it would take a good 60 seconds to open internet explorer. My 17" iMac has safari up in less than 5 seconds. And it looks cool. :)

By the way, I am a PC computer technician, so I know Windows backwards and forwards. I was just tired of fixing my computer at home.

4. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

No, OS X doesn't have a registry. You can pretty much move around and delete whatever you want (except system files and certain folders), without the need for any "wizards" to help you fight a registry.

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

I dont hate windows.
    it s not as good as os x / linux however :)
    peace
    p.s. don't want a flamewar thought

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Offically hate Windows

Let me think, I've done mine 5 or six times since I fist built in in Feb 2001. Every time I install a new operating system I always reformat the hard drive. Makes such a great difference starting a fresh. You get rid of any ligering files that just slow the system down, and only instal what you really want. After I am finished installing I defrag the HDD and the computer runs like new.

P.S: I have a second partition that I only keep video, music, downloads and word files on, no programs at all, and that has never been reformated.

7. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

I bought my computer with ME, and still ME. Every thing from curropted registery, to won't boot, even overheating. I bought the extended 3 year warrenty from Best Buy and they are no help. I first call, they tell me to go to the start button and I tell them there is no start button, all I see is black, then she asked my to right click on my computer, i hung up. If I take it to service, it will be there for 2 weeks and all they will do is insert recovery cd's that would format the hard drive and reinstall everything (I lose all files). I remember this because last year from November 15-January 8 my computer was with them because something happened and the power supply just overheated like crazy and actually melted/disfigured the plastic behind, not a lot, but you see the bent areas. Result was cd-rw was busted, and the mother board needed to be replaced. It took them that long to just recover the hard drive with the cd's, and when I picked it up on the 8th, they did not change the hardware, I returned and yelled, got it changed within 3 days. I don't know if I hate Best Buy for crappy warrenty, or HP for crappy devices, or Microsoft for crappy software.

Apple should have a contest, worst windows experince. PC users would submit their story and the worst ones would get a free mac. Good publicity.

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I used to loathe windows, when I was running 98SE, however now that I am running win2k pro, and can access iTunes and subsequently the music store as much as I want, the degree of hatred has lessened to some extent ;)

And in the 4 years I have had this computer, I have had to reformat the harddrive hmm 3 times. Twice with 98SE, and about 3 weeks ago with 2000 pro.

9. bryanc macrumors 6502

I've been using PCs since 1987 and...

I've never had to reformat 7 times. I did once reformat 3 times...and that installation died again a few days later so I bought a new drive. Sounds like flakey hardware to me.

Having used every incarnation of windows from 3.0 to XP Pro (I'm looking forward to trying Longhorn) I can say that, if you enjoy trouble-shooting computer problems (as I did, and still do to a lesser extent), windows will provide you with an endless supply of entertainment (and income, if that's how you make your money).

I switched to a mac (667 TiBook) a couple of years ago, because I wanted to actually get work done on my computer, rather than constantly trying to figure out how to do what I want to.

I've popped open the terminal to satisfy my inner geek on several occasions (but never *needed* to), and the other day I helped someone across the hall figure out why they couldn't share their printer between two macs (they weren't in the same subnet), but my mac experience has been much less 'exciting'...they generally just work ('cept if you drop 'em hard enough, they will break).

I still have my PC at home (running win2k...got sick of XP's continuous nagging). As long as I don't push it too hard, it generally crashes quite rarely (say, once a month). However, on a couple of occasions when I've really needed to use it for something, and started working it hard, it starts to wobble after a few hours, and will certainly crash at least daily...I think there are some serious memory leaks somewhere in that OS. But I know to expect that, and the BSOD is good motivation to save your work frequently. (One drawback of using a mac is that you can get out of that habbit, and then when you have the misfortune of having to use a PC, you can loose a lot of work when the bloody thing crashes)

I think you'll be happy with almost any mac, and if you have the cash for a G5, you'll be happy with it for a *long* time to come.

Cheers

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I can understand the frustration. I used to administer Windows machines on a regular basis and many machines needed to be wiped clean from time to time. Win95, 98, and ME were the worst. It always made me feel good to return home to something else.

I hope you don't get the idea that there aren't problems with Mac OS X. Right now, there are a few, but mostly, 10.2.8 and 10.3.1 just work smoothly.

Now, when I go back into VPC, I have to re-install Win98SE. :D I'm avoiding it at the moment.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hate to break it to ya' scem0, but there's no MWNY this year, whatever they changed the name to last year (Creative Pro right?) is at the Bayside Expo Center in Boston (or is that Braintree...) for 2004.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Oh well, I'll be happy as long as something is out sooner than march or april of 2004.

scem0

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It will actually be at the new Convention Center that will open in July 2004. The MacWorld Creative Pro Boston will actually be it's first convention. I am so looking forward to next July. Just am hoping that I will get to meet some fellow members.

14. Shifty macrumors regular

I remember when I had a PC. It was a HP desktop.

-233MHz pentium II processor; 3GB Hard Drive; 128MB RAM; Win98.

Some programs kept crashing.
    I upgraded it to XP Professional. Even with the 3GB hard drive.
    Some programs still kept unexpectinley crashing.

I bought a new Sony VAIO desktop for Visual Basic use.

-2.8 GHz pentium 4 processor; 120GB Hard Drive; 512MB RAM; WinXP Home.

Not as many programs kept crashing.
    However, sometimes the computer completely freezes! There's nothing I could do. The Ctrl-Alt-Del function doesn't respond, and nethier does the power button! :eek:

The only I could solve the problem was to yank the power cord out! Not advised by Sony, but it seems the only solution. I never had a problem as bad as this with other PCs. Is technology in PCs getting worse? This computer was only on the market for about 3 months, and I had purchased about a month ago. This has happened 12 times so far.

This is why I'm ditching the PC in favour of the beloved mac.

15. Macco macrumors regular

Try holding down the power button for 5-7 seconds. This will make most computers shut off.

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

How could in a sane world expect a 233mhz mac to run XP at all, not to mention with only 128 of ram? Thats like getting panther to run on a 7500/100 ;0

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

New convention center? Have they at least started construction yet? And where are the building it?

18. Shifty macrumors regular

I have no idea. That's why I said wether PC technology is getting worse by the day.

19. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I think its more like getting Cheetah to run on a 7500 as it was a lot heavier than Panther.

On that note, I hope Apple keeps the "lets make the OS faster" trend that they are in. Seeing Windows users having to upgrade their machines with each new OS update is kinda funny to watch.

I know I saw massive performance increases on my PowerBook. One of my applications which has a heavy launch cycle decreased its launch time from 12s to 3s, and that was simply through a recompile.

20. judith macrumors regular

judith

I agree. But how could you possibly decide who's experiences were worse, would it be by sheer number of incidents, or the total value of "pain in the ass" someone has gone thru? - I'm definatley in the running!:)