Office 11 for Win XP/2000 only. No Mac version.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by peter2002, Oct 31, 2002.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

USA Today reports on 10.31.2002 that Microsoft's Office 11 will only support Windows XP and Windows 2000. No other operating system to be supported. Jason Carson, from MS, said nothing else will be supported for "security and reliability" reasons.

That doesn't make any sense. Windows XP and 2000 are the best OS so far by MS, but they are both far, far from being secure but are pretty reliable now which I guess means that they crash about once a week instead of 10X a day.

Release date is Mid 2003.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/products/software/2002-10-30-ms-office_x.htm

Peter

2. cubist macrumors 68020

When they say "other OSs" they mean win98 & win95.

There is a big discussion of this on The Inquirer. The conjecture there is that Microsoft is not seeing sufficient adoption of XP in corporations, so they want to force it on them.

Microsoft is trying to wring every buck out of an increasingly unhappy user community.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the article:

all right, what the heck is MS doing w/ it that needs so much more power? i doubt there's much more in terms of productivity features, it's gotta be a bunch of animations or other crap.

i declare "bloat."

4. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Exactly... its just bloated code with an interface redisign. They will hype 'new' features that existed in previous versions but were little konwn. Just M$ to squeeze more $ out of corporations.... not to mention rubbing Intel's back with the "higher processing power" BS

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

for your information, I have only had XP crash once the whole time I have had it, not once per week. Windows OSes are underrated here at MacRumors.

6. tenshu2k macrumors member

hey.. my main xp machine has a 85 day uptime and its still running fine. I never really had any major stability issues with xp.

7. awulf macrumors 6502

Office XP to Office 11 won't have many more features

like..

Office 2001 to Office X
    I can't see any difference between then exept Office X runs on OS X and it has new pretty pictures as icons.

8. DrGrip84 macrumors newbie

XP Reliablity

XP Reliablity? What have you guys been smoking? Just for basic home applications, my dad has had lots of problems w/XP crashing. At work, we recently bought a slew of new Dells running XP. We have had lots of problems using our old data (mostly MS 2000 Office docs) w/win XP.

Underrated? The one crash per week comment was generous.

OSX crashes since August: 0

9. vniow macrumors G4

XP crashes since July: 1, when I installed RealONE.[​IMG]

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I couldnt agree more. they are underrated. They still suck in comparison to OSX though

11. Cappy macrumors 6502

Re: XP Reliablity

I just have to ask. MS 2000 Office docs? I'm no expert on all of the components in the Office 2000 and Office XP products but I don't recall seeing this in the thousands of installs I've done of these products. You're surely talking about data and if that's the case, how about providing a little more info like what application you're talking about. And is it the app that's crashing or the OS? The majority of people out there think a crash is always an OS issue when it's really poorly written software.

Truth be told Windows 2000 and Windows XP have been MS's best OS to date. I'd lean more toward Win2k for an OS to go with but WinXP is alright. They're both very capable and underrated by most Mac fanatics. These aren't the Win9x days any longer. I currently support about 400 pc's with Win2k and testing WinXP to be deployed next year. For what it's worth I work 40hrs/wk and only have 2 people work with me that are a combined 40hrs/wk. If they were Win9x boxes, we'd never be able to do it.

As for Office products though I'd go with Office 2000 hands down. Office XP has been riddled with bugs and has given us and our users nothing but headaches since it was deployed this summer.

12. pantagruel macrumors regular

The only thing is I dont want a new version of Office! I want a new Appleworks!!!1 Wake up Apple, you are soo lagging behind on this software, quite with the iApps for a few minutes and update your office program.

13. Inhale420 macrumors regular

you're an idiot.

anyway, no one has recognized that the release schedules for mac office and windows office are different. the current version of office for windows is older than office x for mac.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You might want to try running Windows Update occasionally...there's new patch practically everyday, and many require a restart. ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

16. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

YOU sir, are the idiot. if you took the time to stop inhaling...maybe you would have had the short term memory capacity to see that he was quoting a post about the windows OS being underrated on macrumors. not about office.

17. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

That original article was only saying that certain Windows OS's will be supported (XP/2000 - similar code base). It means they will drop support for 95,98,ME + NT. The mac version is independant of this development.