Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030114084043231
Microsoft: Office 11 for Mac OS X coming, in spite of Keynote

Since Apple's announcement of Keynote - presentation software that competes directly with the Office v.X component PowerPoint - and the Microsoft MacBU's relatively low-key Macworld San Francisco 2003 presence, several readers have expressed concern about the future development of Office for the Mac; PowerPoint in particular.

Microsoft told MacFixIt that "yes there will be an Office 11," though the company hasn't "announced timing or any other specifics."

In addition, company representatives told us "We're already working on the next version of Office, including PowerPoint. We still believe that cross-platform compatibility and integration of other productivity applications, like Word and Excel, are Office's greatest strengths, and will be the key differentiator with other products on the market. Many of our PowerPoint and Office customers work in a mixed PC and Mac environment where cross-platform compatibility and program integration are critical to success. Office v. X is our most compatible and integrated version of Office ever and continues to meet this need and you can only imagine the improvements we'll make in Office 11."

Microsoft is actively maintaining its current Office v.X release, recently releasing a mainenance update that includes localization enhancements.

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
good news for apple because as great as keynote looks and the future of apple software does, people are still mor familiar with microsoft and will want the ability to use word etc.

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Before they release this upgrade, I hope they release compatability with Jaguar's address book/calander system, Apple's Address Book/iCal programs are too feature starved for my needs, but the integration options they offer with other programs (such as Watson) are spectacular!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I am not wild about M$, but...

I do love MS Office v.X and I am glad they are going ahead with Office XI. It is actually one of the best products they make. People I know that are running Office XP on PC's are still jeolous of Office v.X. It is one thing that MS did a good job with. So yeah I am anti-M$, but I hope they keep making Office for us. You can replace IE with Safari and Outlook Express with Mail, but Office is truly something that is hard to replace. In every school or business I have been in Office is the standard. We need it.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
knowing microsoft, it will probably be slow and laggy ;)
but they should bring in features (excluding activation) that are being featured on office 11 for windows (like xml stuff)...

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Office is nice. I have to use it everyday and would much rather be using the Mac version than the PC version. One focus for the update needs to be speed. Entourage v.X is ridiculously slow compared to Entourage 2001. Speed improved somewhat with the first service release, but there is a lot more than needs to be done and MS can do it if they take the time to.

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Microsoft is afraid that, if they don't make a new Office, Apple will take OpenOffice, safarize it and give the source back to the community. That's dangerous for Microsoft and they know it.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with those that are GRATEFUL to Microsoft for giving us a great Mac version of Office. Apple uses Office to talk about compatability, to attract switchers, and then we bash them. Hey, I do it, too. But the reality is Office is nothing but a plus for Mac users.

The only gripe I have is that they are in no way giving it to us (see above), which I don't expect, but I don't think the price is necessarily justifiable, either.

Just my 2 cents...

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I for one love Microsoft Office X. I hear people constantly bashing MS (hell I even do it when I'm working in Windows), but they can make really good software and I for think Office X is a GREAT piece of software. Do I think it's perfect NO! But I've never seen or heard of a perfect piece of software.

Office X is faster and better than Office XP, could this be some wicked MS plot, maybe, but who care! It still works. As far as having to pay for it, who cares. It's not like we have to run out and buy a new package every six months. If you to cheap to buy Office X then use Apple Works.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Office on Mac is a GOOD thing, and this is good news. Now, it would be really cool is if Apple, right after Office XI is released (so we can tell switchers that, yes, Office DO excist on the Mac), launches their Office package with Keynote, a word processor and a spreadsheet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.