Office 2003 re activate

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dukebound85, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hi all, I have a problem with office 2003. Each time I switch between bootcamp and parallels to use office 2003, I have to reactivate office in its components when i lauch the program due to "significant hardware changes" when going between the two.

Is there anyway to get that to stop and if not, do I have an unlimited number of activations?

2. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

Are you accessing the Boot Camp partition from within Parallels, or do you have two installs of Office (one in Boot Camp and the other within a Parallels VM)?

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i initailly installed it on bootcamp and then parallels is booting from bootcamp. only installed office 2003 once

4. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

What is the version/build number of Parallels?

If you're running the current RC, and have installed the corresponding Parallel Tools in Windows, it shouldn't ask you to reactivate (unless the Parallel Tools aren't modifying the Boot Camp partition in a way that the Office Activation component recognizes). I'll test this tomorrow on my 24" iMac and let you know the results.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

NEW! Better Boot Camp support - Using your Boot Camp partition in Parallels Desktop is now easier than ever. RC’s Boot Camp support includes:

* No need to re-activate Windows each time you switch between Boot Camp and Parallels. Activate Windows only once inside Parallels and work in both environments

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

no it used to have to reactivate windows with each switch between parallels and bootcamp but the newest build (i think 3120) has taken care of that. actually an earlier beta fixed that issue. however, although windows doesnt ask for reactivation, office does each time

6. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

The word from Parallels is that this is a known issue they hope to address in a future beta. From what I understand of Office 2003 activation, there is no limit check that will kick in and prevent you from re-installing. The recommendation from Parallels was not to access Office within Parallels via the Bootcamp partition until the issue is resolved.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That is not true. What kind of Office product do you have? Is it retail, OEM, Open? MS will require reactivation each time it detects a different computer and will hose you after the 2nd install, depending on what product you have.

8. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

Agreed on the requirement to reactivate when it detects a change in the computer.

Since the hash value would be constant within Bootcamp and constant within Parallels accessing Bootcamp (prior to the upcoming fix), that would count as two hashes (i.e. two computers). The retail license agreement does allow for use on a desktop and laptop - http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/2/5/12538ba0-3d24-4f00-aab1-dd9ff4aacfc9/en_client_eula.pdf - for a single user. That is why it should allow "endless" reactivation for those two specific hashes.

Duke - how many reactivations have you done?

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe one or 2 i forget

do i have endless activations? or will i get screwed?

10. dunawaydk macrumors newbie

In theory, with each environment representing a single hash, you should be ok, but Parallels recommended not accessing Office outside of native Bootcamp until they resolved the issue on their end. I'd follow their recommendation.

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea good advice. thanks for your help hopefully they fix that soon

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

They just updated parallels to build 3150. does anyone know if this release fixed the activation issue? i cant seem to find it but im not sure

thanks