Office 2004 consistent crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoyboy9, Apr 21, 2005.

1. hoyboy9 macrumors member

I've noticed in the past few days that I have gotten both Powerpoint and Word to crash consistently by doing the following:

1. Open a web page that contains a picture.
    2. Drag picture from open web page onto open Word/Powerpoint document.
    3. Crash!

Has anybody else had this issue? I'm on a Powerbook, 10.3.7. I have the new Office 11.1 update installed.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I can't repro this with either Safari or Internet Explorer (latest versions) and Office 2004 (latest service pack). Does it only occur with a particular picture, or with any picture? Have you tried different sizes of pictures? Does the problem occur 100% of the time? What did you change between when the problem did NOT occur and when it started occurring? Does it occur with Excel?

3. hoyboy9 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for you quick reply! This is quite a curious problem. I just tried it again in Word with the same picture and the crash did not occur. The crash did not occur in Excel. Here are some more specifics:

The web browser is Omniweb 5.1. Both pictures I was working with were .gif files. Both pictures were just normal sized graphs, nothing too big. The problem does not occur every time, as proven by my recent test. It did happen about an hour ago though, on the same picture. Since then, I had not changed anything in terms of open programs, settings, etc.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, so what happens if you try using Safari or Internet Explorer? If the problem doesn't ever occur when using a different browser, then there may be a problem with Omniweb.

5. hoyboy9 thread starter macrumors member

No problems in Safari or Internet Explorer. I'll keep trying on Omniweb to see if I can get a more repeatable crash, then file some bug reports. Thanks for your help!

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You're certainly welcome... and one workaround you might try in the meantime: Drag the image out of Omniweb to the desktop, and then drag it from the desktop to Word/Powerpoint/whatever. The intermediate step should eliminate any problems caused by bad Omniweb/other program interactions.