Office 2004 for Mac: To buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by graln1k, Feb 2, 2007.

1. graln1k macrumors member

I really need Office for my Mac and before I sink 150 into the student edition I was wondering how soon the new version is going to be out with the universal binary. In addition, how much will it cost to upgrade when the time comes?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

second half 2007 i believe for the next office. it will most likely be 150 again as you cant upgrade with the student edition. personally, in the meantime i would pick up office v.x (since cheaper than office 2004 and works great in my opinion) or use neooffice until it is released

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Rumor has it the new version is due this Fall. I don't think there will be an upgrade path for the student edition. Judging by the fact that the Office 2007 (Windows) student edition is selling for $149, it's a pretty good bet that the price for the Mac version will remain $149.

The answer to your question is -- unless you're willing to spend $298 in the next year on Office for Mac, I suggest you wait. Of course, if you really can't get by without it, buy it now. It works just fine.

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

As stated, it is due in the fall for, *guessing* 149 for the student edition. Buy now if you need it, it works fine.

Though it crashes occasionaly.

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I have v.X if you are interested - do you have an Intel Mac?

6. Angrist macrumors 6502

The pricing for Office is highway robbery BTW.
    It's buggy, crashes, and is generally a pain to deal with on top of that.

First why exactly do you NEED it?
    If you're considering the student edition ... your probably assuming that you need it for school. Alternatives aside, most colleges have sanely priced student copies. I got a copy of v.X for $18 just by showing my ID at the campus computer store. Take a poke around and see what they have.

7. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I use neooffice but wonder if anything out there is better and more like MSOffice

what is this VX?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Office:Mac X the previous version.

Note that the "Student" version of Office for Windows is no longer academically tied, but everyone is eligible to buy it for non-commercial use on up to three machines. I'd expect the next version for the Mac to follow suit and become "Home and Student" too.

B

9. phuong macrumors 6502a

i wonder what are the differences between the standard, the pro, the internal, and the teacher/student edition?

at my school they sell the standard edition for $89CND which is equal to $75USD http://ccs.concordia.ca/software.html

that is 10 times cheaper than the pro version sold on apple.ca

10. itsme92 Guest

The Standard and the Student and Teacher editions are identical, but the Standard edition costs $250 more! :eek:

Office Pro includes Virtual PC and a copy of Windows XP Professional, and is only for PowerPC Macs. Intel Macs can just use Boot Camp or Paralells. Also, Virtual PC on PPC Macs is slow as hell, so don't ever get it, it's cheaper, faster, and easier to get a $299 PC at Circuit City.

My reccomendation is to get Office 2004 Student and Teacher. It works great through Rosetta on my Macbook, and I have no plans to upgrade to Office '07. Sure, it might be a bit slower, but all that means is that Word takes five bounces to load up, once the programs are off the ground they work fine. I reccomend you buy Office 2004 Student and Teacher and don't upgrade to 2008, because Office 2004 works fine.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

If you just need a word processor, AbiWord is absolutely incredible.

It's worth a shot before dropping $150 on Office anyway.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I actually use NeoOffice, the OSX port of the open source OpenOffice.org project...

14. graln1k thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the posts guys. I'm running C2D Macbook Pro and Neooffice seems pretty great! What is this v.X that everyone is talking about?

15. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Save your $$ for the new version

I find that the current version is not much better then NeoOffice at opening and dealing with Doc or XLS files. Pages works great for Word files ... try the free programs first then make up your mind...

ps... you could try the Google offerings for free also... plus MS hates them so there's a plus...

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I use Office 2004 apps every day and haven't had any of the problems described above. In fact, I can't remember a single time that it's ever crashed. I use it on a G3 Powerbook and a G4 Mac mini.

I'm not suggesting that nobody has ever had a problem with Office, but judging from the lack of "problems with MS Office" threads around here and on other Mac forums, I would suggest that it's pretty stable for most people.

Obviously, if you don't really need features of the Office apps, there's no reason to spend the money for it. But to say $149 is "highway robbery" is pretty ludicrous.

17. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

MS Office v.X is the predecessor to Office 2004. Frankly, I didn't see much of a difference between the two.

18. phuong macrumors 6502a

office 2004 works fine for me. never crashed before. i agree with you it loads a little slow, but once it's loaded it works great.

MS Word 2004 has a feature i use days in and days out: note view. really convenient for taking lecture notes.
    i believe MS Word 2003 on Windows doesn't have this feature.

i never regret the $80 i spent on it.

19. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Since the new office is kinda near, I would rather use NeoOffice until the new office comes out. That's what I am doing

20. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Definitely wait it out and keep using NeoOffice until the newer version comes out

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Entourage is substantially better, but otherwise, I agree.