Office 2004 makes Safari fonts odd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wowser, Jan 5, 2005.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I just iinstalled Office 2004. I'm pretty certain that it has done something to Safari. Now in this forum, and on other pages, the fonts used looks fainter, slightly smaller. Is this a good thing or a bad thing, and can it go back to normal? It looks ok, but is slighly odd.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like maybe it turned on font smoothing somehow? Perhaps try turning it back off and see if it goes back to what you're used to?

3. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Well, I'm not sure what exactly it did, but I restarted Safari and all seems well. Sorry about that, but it is still an odd thing.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Hypothesis: Many web pages specify primary and alternative fonts. When you installed M$ Office, you probably also installed the fonts bundled with the suite. Safari may have been using alternative fonts and displaying them well. Among your new fonts, there may be fonts that have a higher priority than those Safari displayed before.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

MS Office installs some fonts in your Library. This can confuse several apps where some fonts aren't displayed the right way anymore. Sometimes even a restart doesn't help. Just delete the Fonts folder in your Library and everything goes back to normal.

6. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Really? The one in the system folder or the one with the house icon?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The one with the fonts installed by M$ Office :rolleyes:

8. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

I f**ked my system at work up, when I installed MS 2004. It replace all the fonts (it called this process "updating") and afterwards certain fonts were missing. Keynote didn't display my presentations properly any more and I just reinstalled everything.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So when you install Office 2004, it doesn't just involve dragging a folder over to the apps folder, like Office.X? :( I thought that was Office.X's most redeeming feature. :D

10. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Actually, it still does, but when you start an Office app for the first time, these fonts get installed.

Your own Library, not the system's.

11. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you want to junk the entire *FONTS* folder inside your library folder. If you're worried, do this: create an archive of the folder then delete it. That way, you can just copy the folder back if something goes wrong. But the fonts folder inside your home directory's library folder shouldn't have much in it, would it? Most apps should be asking you to su and installing fonts to the system fonts directory if they need to....

13. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Ok, i tried it but 'Verdana' was in use. That scared me away.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You quit all open applications, right? Try that and then do it. But I still recommend making a zip file of the contents just in case. I can't imagine that any OS X component uses the Verdana font....

15. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

OK, it worked that time. Still have the zip in case :)