Office 2004 now? or wait for 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pun5302, Mar 30, 2007.

1. pun5302 macrumors newbie

New Mac user question. We need to have an office program compatible with our son's school projects/ husbands office work. In short Office for Mac. We just went mac about 3 weeks ago and are unsure whether to go ahead and purchase Office 2004 for Mac or wait for the 08 release. Any ideas? Is 08 worth the wait?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I strongly recommend you use NeoOffice for now, and when Office 08 comes out, you can decide if it is worth the purchase...if you are on an Intel mac, Office 04 will run quite slow, while NeoOffice is pretty fast...

3. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

exactly what he said. NeoOffice is free and it works with ALL MicroSloth documents and files and spreadsheets. you might just find that office has NOTHING to offer!

4. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

If you're just stalling for time, why not try NeoOffice. Its free, it does a most (if not all) of the stuff typical users need from MS Office, and you can download it right now. If you don't like it, at least you didn't waste any money.

I'd wager that, at the very least, NeoOffice will at least keep you satisfied until MS Office 2008 comes out (late 2007). By then you'll either just stick with Neo or you'll be ready to make the leap back to MS. This is what I did back between Office v.X and 2004 and I haven't quit using Neo yet...:D

5. pun5302 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!... Just to make sure I understand this- Any document I create in NeoOffice can be opened/edited in Windows office-right? Compatible with Office 97?

6. BigDogAT macrumors newbie

Yup! NeoOffice works GREAT! I used it for a long time & then my office just purchased Office'04. I have an Intel Mac and office runs great on my machine. BUT - I wouldn't have Office '04 if I had to pay for it myself - NeoOffice is the perfect price! :)

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes...but when you save, remember to choose .doc instead of the .odt it automatically chooses...its a simple drop down menu...