Office 2004 Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shazkar, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Shazkar macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook.
    Umm, also, should I not have bought Office 2004 since it's not Universal Binary? Should I have just waited and used OpenOffice until they released a UB version of office?
    If that's the case, can I return the copy of Office 2004 that isn't opened back straight to an Apple store if I bought it online at Apple?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Returning it may depend on how long ago you bought it, but I wouldn't bother anyway. Office is not terribly taxing on the system so the fact it's not yet universal shouldn't matter too much. It's not going to be made into a universal binary for quite some time anyway.

However, download OpenOffice and see what you think. You may prefer it to Office 2004 anyway. Personally, I prefer the Microsoft suite though.

3. Shazkar thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the advice. So long as it isn't a pain in the butt to run on Rosetta I'm cool I guess.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, many people find that Word lags a bit on PPC machines and so it'll certainly have that same lag on Intel machines. It's not a huge issue and doesn't bother me, but I'm not a professional writer. :)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

NeoOffice, a native Mac OS X port of OpenOffice, has Intel versions of v. 2.0a4.

And from August 29th the Beta with Aqua support will be freely available... :)