Office 2004 requiring admin privs to install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lightsout, Oct 30, 2006.

1. lightsout macrumors member

Ok, I'm a bit of a n00b to OSX so give me a break. ;)

Basically, I'm trying to give the Office 2004 trial a go. Now, when I try to run it on my C2D iMac it says I need to be an admin to install it. I run as a normal user.

As the apps are PPC based, I can't run them from a terminal shell (huh?) so I can't use that method to run it as a privileged user. What is the best way to run something as a different user?! (without logging off!)

2. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

1) Did you install all the MS Office Updates?
    2) Did you repair permissions (Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility)?

I am rather new to OSX (Had my Mac for about a month..pc switcher) but I would try those avenues first.

3. lightsout thread starter macrumors member

1. No, this was trying to run the trial for the first time.

2. No, but I downloaded the .dmg file and it didn't prompt me for admin access (bad Microsoft software huh?) so I presume I'll need to work around it.

Thanks!

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

When you first run Office, it does additional installation of -- stuff -- which is why the first time you run it, it needs Admin account level. I *think* its fine after that -- that is, it won't continually bug you for Admnin access.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The installer wants to put stuff in the Applications folder and so on, so it does need admin access. Can you log in as an admin user to take care of the installation?

6. skwij macrumors 6502

You "should" be getting a prompt to authenticate, shouldn't you?

If that's the case, just enter your admin name and password, and the process should complete normally.

7. lightsout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone...

1. I was able to run it for the first time as an admin user by logging in as admin. It worked fine.

2. To do #1, I granted myself admin access. Now I've removed it, Office refuses to run saying it needs admin rights!

So:

1. Do Office 2004 require admin rights to run, or it is just the trial version which requires these rights?

2. At no point does it prompt me for admin rights. Is there anyway I can start it as an admin instead?