Office 2004.... Standard vs Student&Teacher Edition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Nov 21, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

What is the actual difference in the software? I cant find anywhere where it lists the differences...

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Because there is no difference. :)

Both software packages have the same functionality.

---
    Edit: To clarify: they are functionally similar, but the academic version is not an "upgradable" copy. You'd need to buy the whole thing all over again for future releases.

3. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

They are absolutely identical accept the academic version is 3 licenses and much cheaper.

4. dcollierp macrumors member

I wonder if the student version is upgradable.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How many times do you have to be told? No.

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Wrong

Although you're not 100% wrong. I have the Windows version of Office 2003 for Teachers and Students and since I have had it, MS have made quite a few upgrades to it, mainly in the areas of stability and functionality.

But, because it is the Teachers and Students version, it cannot be upgraded to to the new Office 2004 version. If you want the new one, you have to buy it again.

No biggie, because first off buying two Teachers and Students version will still be cheaper than buying one full version. Plus you can always sell your old version and get back a little bit of money for it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is a Mac-oriented site where we talk about Mac issues. If you want to discuss Office 2003, then perhaps you would do better to join a Windows site.

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Well, yes, and this is the same case with the Student / Teacher version of Office 2004 for Mac. You will get little updates from Microsoft, bug fixes and the like. These aren't "upgrades," however -- rather, they're "updates."

9. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok cool...

I am In the United States Marine Corps, but also go to college on base part time. So I guess I can get this? I am going to anyway if their are no differences in the software and its alot cheaper... I just needed to clairify

But thanks

10. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

His comments were also applicable to Mac versions of Office. Give the guy a break

11. rwk001 macrumors member

Recently, MS had a promotion where if you bought Office X within a certain time period, regardless of the version, you could upgrade to Office 2004. So I got the Student & Teacher version for about $150, then paid another $150 to upgrade to a full version of Office 2004 Professional, which includes Virtual PC 7. So now I have 4 working copies of Office (3 from X, 1 from 2004, as well as VPC7, all for less than what it would have cost for a retail version of Office). But this was a limited time offer, but maybe when they are ready to upgrade again, an offer like that may come around again.

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Huh???

Excuse me?

The question was an upgrade question and MS upgrade policies are pretty much standard, whether it's Windows or Mac related software.

If you have nothing positive to add, then don't waste bandwidth by posting inane and useless comments.

Besides, everybody except trolls are welcome here, regardless of what they're using at home. Until such time when you choose to buy this site, and then you will be in a position to enforce whatever policies please you.

Chill out :rolleyes:

13. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

AFAIK

I just upgraded my daughter's Office 2003 version for Mac to the new 2004 version. As far as I know and can see from using it, it does appear to be 100% identical to the full version.

Keep in mind the provisos already mentioned

1) No full upgrade when the latest version becomes availbale

2) No Virtual PC 7 which is only included in the *pro* version of Office.

So go ahead and save some money, I highly recommend the Teachers and Students version.

PS And thanks for the support :)

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Uhh...the reason why everyone's complaining is that there is no Office 2003 for Mac. There's Office v.X and Office:Mac 2004 (for Mac OS X) - that's it, unless you count the even older Mac OS 9 versions.

15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Oops

Sorry, just checked the box. My Windows version is Office 2003, but my daughter's was Office v.X but has now been upgraded to Office:Mac 2004.

It was a free upgrade, so I got some documentation and the CD, but no box.