Office 2004 vs Office v.X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mckeek, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mckeek macrumors newbie

I just bought a nice shiny new PowerBook 1.33 (love it!) and need Office. I keep reading that 2004 is slower that its predecessor (typical MS behaviour) and the few added features are not worth the performance hit. Since I use only about 10% of the features in Office at work (on a PC) I am fishing for opinions - are the stories of 2004 being slow true, and if so, should I get tried and true V.X instead?

TIA,

- Kevin

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you can find a V.x version on the shelves, then you can get a free copy of the 2004 version. Then you can do tests for yourself.

3. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I've used both, and I'd say that if you dont use any of the new shiny features then buy the one that is the cheapest. I can't say for me there has been any benefit, like you i dont use many features apart from simple formulas in excel and basic word processing in word.

jay

4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen a performance problem with Office 2004 over v.X. However, I have to throw some caveats in there. I don't use Office to do large documents or spreadsheets (at home anyway, and my work computer is a PC.) So, I've rarely done anything with Office to tax the system. Also, not long before I bought Office 2004 I upgraded my Dual 450Mhz to a Dual 1300Mhz.

Anyway, my personal experience has been fine, but I've only done simple things in Excel and Word. Entourage I use extensively and I think it's running fine. I had to adjust my rules a smidgeon for my .Mac IMAP account and my Hotmail account. Now that I have, though, Entourage identifies spam, moves into the Junk Mail folder on the respective servers and only downloads my real email. I have never gotten more than 2 spam messages in one day, but it's nice to have even less to take care of.

5. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I've used both and 2004 is slower as far as opening a app, but does that really matter? It slower doesn't mean is slow as takes 2min to open it.

6. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I saw these tips to speed Word up a bit. I only tried the word count one, as I would rather keep the others as features. Still:

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've always had problems with MS Word in Mac OS X, especially with the software being able to keep up with my typing. So I tried your suggestions and found I'd already disabled Quartz Text Smoothing. Just for kicks, I enabled it to see if there was a big difference. Here's what I found:

1. The text looks WAY better. A huge difference.
    2. It's FASTER than with Quartz Smoothing disabled.

So my recommendation, assuming your graphics card can handle Quartz, is to ENABLE text smoothing. MS Word is usable again!

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Ah, that's bad news for me, then. I really can't stand the text lag, but have smoothing enabled.

9. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

To be perfectly honest, 2004 is a good deal more sluggish than the not exactly stellar Office X. I'd get X were I in your shoes.