Office 2004 vs. v.X - Worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FelixDerKater, May 31, 2004.

1. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Of those of you who have already upgraded from Office v.X to Office 2004, what are some features that stand out as really useful and worthy of the upgrade cost? How is performance of Office 2004 as compared to v.X? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Since I know some smartarse will respond, "Download the demo." I am going to go ahead and say that I have already done that. Still, just like any app, there are features and such that you don't discover until someone happens to mention them.
  2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    i downloaded the demo and decided that i will not need the upgrade. office still handles fonts in its own way (which is not the way all other apps in osx do), and the performance sucks. sometimes the demo apps didn't even load when there were too much fonts apparently. i will not tolerate a word processor that says what fonts i can use and how many, so no upgrade for me, thank you.

word v.X version 10.1.5 is much faster than the new demo version, in my setup at least. i will continue using that when i have to, and indesign when i can choose ;)
  3. theimacguy macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2004
    Not worth it.

Anything from M$ is not worth it.

Keynote + AppleWorks = :)
  4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Who even recommends AppleWorks anymore? Wasn't the last update like 4 years ago? Keynote is okay, although I have had problems with it quitting with large Powerpoint files.

If you currently own Office X, I would not recommend updating to the latest version. There is just not enough new features. If you don't own X, and you need Office compatibility... I would say go for 2004. Its nice but not worth the upgrade price.
  5. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Keynote is awesome - it completely mutilates PowerPoint anyday!!!

However, the rest of the Office Suite is still much better than AppleWorks in everything except speed (which both lack but AppleWorks has a little more of).
  6. marano macrumors member

Dec 7, 2003
    New Jersey
  7. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    considering if you are in the business world, you are bound to get an email with some type of microsoft office document. not all the office clones will able to read all the officedocuments perfectly. it is always handy to have a copy of office installed. especially if its your customer who uses office.
  9. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    v.x suits myneeds dont tink i will upgrade. but if ur starting from nothing just get the newer one
  10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i've tried both and the difference isn't that great.
  11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    The new layout views are cool, but other than that 2004 has been buggy as hell with me. Word won't play nicely with my Photosmart printer - app always shuts down when I try to print, same thing when I try to cut and paste from Excel into something running on a Citrix client. Entourage takes forever to sync with Exchange server too. In several ways, Office 2004 lost ground. I do like the new stuff, but the upgrade actually made it harder for me to do work.
  12. boomtopper macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    UK Huddersfield
    In word.x there is a problem with it that annoys me. The problem is that the page setup is always set to US letter. Has this been fixed in the new word or is there a workaround?
  13. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I've noticed that when idle in the background, v.X still consumes about 5-10 percent of my CPU cycles, while 2004 holds steady at 0% as you would expect an background app to use.
  14. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    i got my v.X for $6.34 from if they still have the same deal next semi then I'll upgrade..otherwise..bah
  15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Not for me...

I haven't closed Word 2004 since 2 days and without using it it uses 9% my CPU :mad: ... I'll check with v.X at home... But I doubt far as I've read... I find Appleworks pretty cool and simple if you want to do a document and give it as PDF ...Database feature for home-use, still cool... What I need is word and excel, there is no even 80% excel compatible program outthere... I've tried everything from Appleworks to Koffice , going trhough OOo
  16. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Appleworks..... are you serious????

OpenOffice could be a realistic alternative, but they need people to help make it Aqua native. (I read somewhere there is only 2 guys working on the mac version)
  17. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Appleworks rocks!

Seriously, is pretty fast and the word processor is nice for doing brochures and documents which only go PDF, ok, for me, I haven't found the first one with AW to read my files... either the first one who says, "But only AW files" :), would be nice, but truely, AW is fast, I have OO as well, and between the 3 apps, I like doing databases in appleworks and taking notes of my research...

I heard IBM came with a new Office suite that will be available to the end of the year for the mac world... but Appleworks needs a big update and I doubt it comes as Steve said when talking of iLife : "is like MS Office for the rest of your life" .... that statement says to me that it will take a long time before apple takes again the office suit program way... I hope to be wrong, want to see Appleworks 7 in WWDC ... is that much Steve? bring multiple spreadsheets... and better compability...
  18. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    I thinks its safe to say that most people consider Appleworks a toy rather than a tool. The best solution would be what they did with Safari, that is, get something from the open source community and do it up.

And why would IBM come up with something for the mac world? I thought they were fully committed to the linux bandwagon (in terms of software). The upside i see from Appleworks is that it comes for free if you buy an ibook.
  19. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2003
    Office 2004 seems quite power-hungry on my powerbook. Editing a simple word document, and running top reveals:

794 Microsoft 59.6% 3:31.06 2 103 488 91.2M- 46.4M 93.9M- 454M

Not pretty really. Maybe they need to release a service update.

20. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I'd say it was only worth the upgrade if you come from pre-v.X version of Office, say 2001. But other than that I really don't think it's worth the extra money.

As for OpenOffice, Appleworks, ThinkFree etc, they are so insignificant it's not funny anymore. But Keynote is getting my juices flowing and I can't wait for the next release.
  21. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2003
    What are the chances Apple has a set of office applications waiting for the WWDC?
  22. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Somewhere I recall reading that if you turn off teh "auto word count" or whatever the feature is, performance improves a lot and processor use decreases greatly.
  23. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I'd say, wait, if not, order asap, because the next release will be in mwsf 05... I hope they come with AW 7 this summer...
  24. Tonini macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2004
    Shanghai, China
    i can display chinese both on pc and mac without any changes!
  25. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Thanks - this is a good tip. I installed Office 2004 on my upgraded Beige G3 (now a G4/500, 768RAM) and immediately noticed a performance decrease. Office 2004 seems to me to be a bloated Office X, much in the same way WinXP is a bloated Win2000 - I remember the folks from M$ presenting at MW in January. They were all like, "ooh, and check out this new feature no-one asked for, and wow, look at this bizarre notepage thing." The silence from the audience was deafening. :D

Seriously, Office 2004 seems to be more of a way to keep the line fresh than an actual improvement over Office X. I mean, how many ways can you overtick a word processor before you encounter the law of diminishing returns? :rolleyes:

I tend to concur with others - if you own Office 2001 or earlier, I'd say Office 2004 is worth the upgrade if only for native OS X support. Otherwise, Office X will be fine until the next revision, and probably even thereafter.