OFFICE 2007 for MAC RELEASED!!! (? - I think...)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rashdown_online, Feb 6, 2007.

1. rashdown_online macrumors member

Hi all.

I was just browsing through the Microsoft web site, looking into Office2007, and it seems that MS have released it for the MAC!:

[​IMG]

The URL is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx, and Look for "Today on Office Online"

Is it me, or does that look like a PowerBook/MacBook Pro 15" SUGGESTING that Office 2007 is being run on a Mac??? lol.

I do have better things to do than search websites for useless things (honest!), but that's just funny considering the "Hand Bags At Dawn" stuff that's going on about Gates and Jobs and stuff.

:cool: :apple:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, nope. Not yet.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I believe it is an Apple notebook. If you look closely you can see a faint outline in the shape of the Apple logo. It's not released for Mac yet though...

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

A) Stock photos used for these types of things often have nothing to do with the product being discussed.

B) If it's an MBP, you most certainly can buy Office 2007...and Windows to let you run it.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Maybe the reason that the user seems so happy is that there is no Windows on the machine, and they are using NeoOffice...

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

1. It'll be a stock image (although that doesn't excuse MS not paying attention to these thinges).

2. That is a PowerBook G4 15" as given away by the rubber on the side of the display casing which is not present on MBP's. Therefore Office must be running very slow under emulation on that machine, lol.

David

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there won't be an office: mac 07. u need to follow some news more frequently.

9. rashdown_online thread starter macrumors member

Hi all.

I do follow the news. I was just trying to subtally identify some irony by the way Microsfot are using "stock" photos of users using a Mac Laptop while in the context of a Windows/Intel application mini-site.

And at the same time, Bill gates slagging off Apple.

Just thought it was funny. That's all.

Anyway, it's obviously a lame thread, so you can close it if you want Arn.

Later

:p

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I actually find it quite amusing also.

David

11. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Wow that guy looks call for someone running Vista and Office 2007 on Virtual PC, I didn't know it even supported Vista.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its no secret MS uses Apple products. Recently they've used iMacs and MacBook Pros to demo vista.

13. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Haha are you being serious?? I'd love to see photos of that.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Actually they went to a TV station expecting to demo Vista on a PC, but the only Vista capable machine they had was an iMac...

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Originally, from what I read, Microsoft were going to call both the Mac and Windows versions Office 2007 but as they're not going to have the Mac version until the second half of 2007, they (marketing-) wisely decided to rename it Office 2008.

It probably extends the rivalry and keeps Windows users and corporate buyers thinking that the Mac version isn't as capable.

16. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Product names often aren't determined very far in advance. (There are some obvious exceptions, but this isn't one of them.) Some people outside of Microsoft had been calling the next version "Office 2007" (including the magazine article that showed the very first look at it). Here in the MacBU, we've only ever referred to it by its code name or simply "Office 12".

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day

17. baseballman1243 macrumors member

baseballman1243

I'm using right now Microsoft Office 2007 for windows, it's not bad at all actually, they did a pretty nice job.

18. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Stay tuned to the MS Office Mac teams blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/default.aspx

"...there is no delay or deviation from our development schedule. We're hitting our milestones, checking in our features, and making the move to Intel as planned. We've totally moved from Code Warrior to Xcode, so we've crested that hill. We usually ship 6 - 8 months after the availability of Office for Windows so we can do compatibility testing. This has been our shipping cycle for ages, and we're right on track. In fact, for Office 12, we've not even officially announced a launch date (but when we do, we should do it here first)."

Of course, OpenOffice.org is to release an alpha port of an aqua native version soon:
    http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/faq/aqua-prerelease/index.html

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Mircosoft has pulled VB support from office 2007, at least for the Mac. I have hear from a few people that the VB scripts screwed with the Mac or something, I only use VB scripts at work on the PC, but with Office no longer supporting VB (at least on the Mac), and Neo Office now supporting VB, I have switched all my docs to Neo Office.