Office Backup with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RVD90277, May 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a small office with around 12 macs. I would like to set up a system to back them up. Standard time machine is good but I don't want to get 12 USB hard drives and hook them up to each machine. All macs are running OSX lion.

I am thinking of getting a few 2GB time capsules (say 1 TC for every 3 machines) and then setting up each machine to go to a specific time capsule for backups.

Is that possible? Is this is best way to set this up? It seems a little clunky but I would set up a table like this:

Employee #1: TC #1
    Employee #2: TC #1
    Employee #3: TC #1
    Employee #4: TC #2
    Employee #5: TC #2
    Employee #6: TC #2
    Employee #7: TC #3
    Employee #8: TC #3
    Employee #9: TC #3
    Employee #10: TC #4
    Employee #11: TC #4
    Employee #12: TC #4

Most employees work wirelessly but some are hard wired in so the solution should support both methods.

Another options I think would be to buy 1 or 2 NAS units like the Netgear ReadyNAS 8gb and hook those up with an AirportExpress?

On a related note, I will also need to back up these backup units to the cloud somewhere.

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

3. blueroom, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

macrumors 603

blueroom

I was just about to recommend a Synology NAS :)

Once the initial TM backup is complete it should handle a dozen machines seamlessly. Make sure to use Gigabit switches and wired Ethernet to get the most out of that NAS.

Synology can be cloud synced with either another Synology NAS, rsync or the Amazon S3 cloud.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome.

i'm going to get the 8 disk unit with 5 X 3TB drives. that should give me the space that we need + have some room to expand if the company grows.

5. macrumors 603

blueroom

That 8 bay is a beast, the dual gigabit ethernet is made for heavy network traffic. Check out www.smallnetbuilder.com for reviews and comparisons.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for the link.

total hardware package is around $1700 on amazon.com which isn't too bad...just a little more than $100 per employee.

7. macrumors 68020

Solid setup for the $. As blueroom said, combining it with cloud also gives you offsite if business continuity is a consideration albeit it does come with a recurring cost.