Office Depot to sell Apple hardware

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Jul 12, 2004.

1. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

One place to shop online, lol. Can you say apple.com? But, this is so weird. That's one of the last places I would expect to see macs (except two years ago. Instead of a regular fan, you could buy one that was a supercomputer too!).
    –Chase

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

OMG THIS IS AWESOME AS HELL!!! My girl works there and i can get a discount now HIP HIP HORRAY!!!! I am 110% for the good ole office depot sellin MACs. Its about fraggin time. :eek:

3. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

I hope they sell them in store, that would be great, if so my job hunt might just be over. I just recently quit compusa and I have been wanting to find somewhere to work, but what I love doing is selling macs, this will great if they do sell in store. I'm going to talk to GM of one near my house and see what he says.

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

5. jenniff macrumors member

I recently quit CompUSA too! Ex-Comp team members unite! And I loved selling macs too, just...

This would be rock awesome now.. time to apply at Office Depot.

The discount probably won't be much less than an educational discount through apple.com. In fact, from my observation from working at Compusa, the discount is usually better at apple.com's educational store than instore employee discount. Then again, I'm not sure how Office Depot employee discounts work.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

this is indeed interesting...what i wonder is how well office depot is doing as a chain at differentiating from staples et al, and whether thats why they're going to try apple hardware...its a good reason to get mac loyalists, and its a built in draw...selling pcs and related software is something every major office chain does, selling macs makes people choose you.
    very interesting...
    -carly
    ps some of this conjecture comes from an office depot by my house closing recently...so it just led me to wonder in general as to whether they felt the pinch of bigger companies.

7. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Recently quit too! (Other job started paying me enough). Anyway, I am curious how you arrived at that figure, as CompUSA lets you buy at cost, and everytime I checked it, the cost was less than the educational discount.

Example: 15" Powerbook 1.5GHz w/ Superdrive

CompUSA cost: $2170.00 (A little more, but that was what I remembered from off the top of my head)
    Educational discount: $2299.99

Unless the educational store doesn't charge tax, I don't understand where you came up with that.

9. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

I just quit compusa about 2 weeks ago and I can assure you the educational discount is better than compusa's discount. I remember when I was going to buy a 15" powerbook, a couple months ago, it was $80 off while the education discount took off $200. The same with the in-ear headphones, ipods and alot of software I looked at.

10. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

At the CompUSA I worked at until 7/3/04 we got all of our items at cost. I was hoping to get some money together to buy the 15" Powerbook so I was definitely interested in the cost. I remember it being something in the area of $2170. I could be wrong, but I definitely remember it being more than $80 dollars off.

Any current CompUSA employees care to look up cost for me and correct me if I'm wrong?

11. jenniff macrumors member

All CompUSA employees get items at cost.

From my understanding of cost, different stores could possibly get items for different costs. I know that a certain store in Manhattan was allowed to adjust their prices, to deal with the competition of a neighboring non-CompUSA reseller. They clearly would receive their items at a different cost, otherwise the store would lose money on every Apple sale.

TAP is definitely cheaper through Apple's website (well.. warranty.. you know what I mean) — AppleCare wasn't that much cheaper at cost, whereas apple.com would knock maybe a hundred dollars or more. I don't remember a figure exactly for cost, but I do recall that the educational discount was better.

Possibly you're looking at the wrong cost, perhaps you looked at a combo drive Powerbook. Cost on computers was never really that much of a savings, maybe $50, not much more. You save a few hundred dollars through Apple's website. Another factor that I considered as well is that you cannot upgrade the machines in store, whereas at Apple's website you get upgrades for an educational discount — save $5 here, $10 there, $20 somewhere else.

I do recall that iPods are cheaper at CompUSA's cost. Cost was about $10 less than the educational discount. Still, that's pretty comparable, and since you can't get TAP on iPods anymore (only AppleCare), you might as well get it through Apple so that they don't have to pay Comp any money for being a reseller.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i worked at office depot five years ago and the store has gone thru mac phases and pc only phases

when i worked there, some of the peripherals were mac friendly and there was some mac software...but the company did not encourage much out of the ordinary so i was the only mac guy there

i wish office depot carried sony, fujitsu, apple, alien, and other higher end brands but that is not the stuff that caters to their core market...fry's superstores is a better place for mac stuff

i noticed the local office depot near me has stopped carrying many video cards, joysticks, and games and really is looking like some boring "office" store...i notice more calculators, paper shredders, pencils and pens, and the like since those items have a better margin of profit and move faster

13. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

I hate Office Depot

Office Depot seems to much like a warehouse. I think Macs will be totally out of place in that store. There aren't any real salesmen in that store, most of them are stockers. I doubt anyone in the store will be able to explain the differences between a Mac and a PC to their customers. I think it's a big mistake for Apple to do business with Office Depot. They should stick to placing their products at high end retail places, instead of dumps like Office Depot.

14. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

ARG ....

Everytime I see this thread I think its "Apple hardware on sale at Home Depot" It's has something to do me being in the building industry :D