Office for $135 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nermal, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm being lazy and can't be bothered to go price hunting, so does anyone think this is a good deal?

Office v.X Student/Teacher edition, licenced for 3 computers, with a free upgrade to 2004 when it comes out. Total price, $135 including delivery (of both versions).

2. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I think that's the best deal you'll find, short of finding a used copy on eBay.

As much as I dislike MS buisness practices and their OS monopoly, Office is still the best of it's kind. At $135, it's a steal.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Office for $135 a good deal?

Check out Fry's, they usually have pretty good deals on Office (both for Mac and PC's). Their DVD movies are also priced more competively than Amazon.

www.outpost.com

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i got office x at my school's store for 15$. Thats also the maximum i would spend on MS. :D

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

What did you do...pay off the security guard with fifteen bucks to let you steal it?

6. kidA macrumors regular

lots of universities have programs with MS where they can distribute an enterprise-like edition of office for a pretty low cost. i think at UT Austin it's like $5. my university has it for like $60, which is still way below the normal student edition. these offer no support and no upgrades, though.

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

:D :D :D :D

8. klyau6 macrumors member

my university offers one for $10 (microsoft office for mac OSX), but i'm not sure if it's the one out now...version 10.1? is that different from x.V and if i load it into my machine, it will work just as well right?

http://www.oit.umd.edu/slic/products/microsoft/office10mac.html

you have to be a faculty or staff to get these discs, but lucky for me i know someone :)

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i got MS office for $5 from purude university. usually the university signs a big site license deal (ie gives MS a LOT of money) so MS gives good cheap prices. .. but there are lots of restrictions like you can only load it on one computer and such.

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: Re: Office for $135 a good deal?

They've got it for $130 + delivery (and their site wants me to put CC details in before giving me the delivery cost, which I'm not going to do). Plus that doesn't include the free upgrade to 2004.

11. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Tried that, they've got virtually every MS product, but couldn't get the rights to Office :(

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

I can get it for $10 through my school, too (I agree--that's the most I'd spend on Office), but if you don't have that option, the $130 deal you found sounds pretty good--I don't remember seeing it for less outside of a University bookstore.

The free upgrade makes it particularly worthwhile--sure not gonna get that for $10 (probably why MS is willing to cut folks a deal--new version's almost here).

13. bannedagain macrumors member

I'm not prepaird to pay microsoft $1, Hence my entire system is built on "borrowed" software.
    I know we're not suppose to talk bootlegging but hey, give us a PM if you have any requests.

My $1 statment doesn't relate to microsoft developed games.

14. Pseudonym macrumors regular

Easy tiger! You'll be Bannedyetagain if you're not careful :D

15. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

16. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

God man, I don't care what you do or "borrow", but nobody wants to hear about it. That's your business. MacRumors isn't the place to discuss it either. There are other places that cater to that.

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That didn't seem to stop u from mentioning it though, did it? :rolleyes:

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Office for $135 a good deal?

Where did you get this deal on Office v.X? I could use a version licensed for 3 computers. My wife has a student ID. Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated. Link if possible! ;)

19. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm in New Zealand, and as such I am buying from a local website. Here it is, but it might not be such a good deal once you add the cost of delivery to the US.

To approximately convert NZD to USD, divide by 1.48. Also, you'll want to divide the price by 1.125 to cancel out tax - you don't need to pay tax if you're not in NZ.

The free upgrade to 2004 won't be valid outside NZ, but I believe MS has a coupon on their US website which allows you to upgrade to 2004 for the cost of delivery. I'd recommend checking the fine print in case it says that Office X must have been purchased in the US.

20. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks like he wasn't careful :rolleyes: I think he's been banned 3 times now?