Office for $65?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chef Medeski, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I was checking out the Office trial. I have fell in love with iWork and Office. Office is great for documents, notes, and recording (professors). Yet, iWork makes a presentation which is 10 times better. Unfortuanetly both have a crappy worksheet program. However, when do I make presnttions, never. So, I need to buy Office. The Apple Student price is a smotth $100 after $50 rebate. However, the interesting thing is Microsoft if running a $35 off rebate for buying their product. Now, for the latter I saw no restricitons to where you pruchased it. So, I was wondering if I can pick up Office for an even smoother $65. Has anyone done it? Thanks.

2. Laplace macrumors member

Where did you find the additional 35$ off? I just purchased MS office for Mac and I would be interested in trying if nothing else.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm not sure about the rebate, but you may want to also check
    for bulk purchase deals through your university sales rep.

4. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Go to the Microsoft Office 2004 website. In the left margin, it says $35 off Student and Teacher Edition.

5. Laplace macrumors member

I just checked it out and you get one or the other. Both rebates require that you send in the top of the box with the proof of purchase, and both have to be originals. And since you can only have one original then you can only get one of the rebates.

Laplace

6. deetschei macrumors member

i just picked up a copy of office 2004 at the uc berkeley computer store for only 65 dollars. i would hesitate to recommend using it though. to be honest, it crashes so much more often than any previous mac office product i've owned. it just seems really unstable. :(

7. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

While this is true. The notebook feature is a godsend. I have fallen in love. So, I definetly need to get it, since my trial runs out 2morrow.

8. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I have had zero problems with Office crashing since I bought it - however, Safari & iTunes crash every once and a while :(

What is the notebook feature??

Also, if you are a student, get it from your school (most have HUGE edu discounts). I got my copy for $19.95

9. moonislune macrumors regular

No probs with Office

No probs either with Office. My PC version of 2003 crashed every now and then, so far none on the Mac. And $65 is a steal.

10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Check with your school's bookstore or computing website. At the U of Michigan bookstore you can get the student and teacher edition for $43.

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Hey! I work at the UC Berkeley computer store!

12. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Could someone enlighten me on what the "notebook" feature is?

13. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Damn the UNF Bookstore and their decision to sell it for the typical $149.99. Their version for Windows is the same too. Bleh!

14. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Hmm, I have a copy of Office in my cart at apple.com, but I'll have to go to the UC Santa Barbara store tomorrow to see if I can get it for less there. 50 or so bucks instead of $100 would make me very happy. :D

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

There's a different format thingie and it is layed out to look like a lined notebook. It makes it very easy to take bulletted notes and insert random images (i.e. if your prof uses slides you could insert them and other pictures). It looks neat, and it's fun to use, but when it comes to printing out my notes I'd rather not take the chance of losing my formating so I still use a plain ol' Word doc.

16. jkandell macrumors member

This may be small potatoes, but if you buy the educational MS Office through Amazon (using the $35 rebate) you get it for $98 and no tax, including shipping. The in-store version is going to be taxed on the full price ($150), remember, before $50 rebate.

17. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Ah, ok - thank you for the information.

18. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

You omitted the best part. There is a mic mode, so that you can record your profesors, which wouldn't be special on its own. However, they have made it so that every line you type has a notch at what time the recording is at. So, if you go to that line and hit th elittle speaker button you get the professor talking about what is written, if it coincides witht he time you take the notes. Its great for when its hard to understand the professor while taking notes. I love it personally.

By the way an update: I contacted Microsoft and they assured me that I could send in both, meaing it would be $65 and with free shipping it really is a steal. Yet, this is where Apple shines, while they would give me a name, an extension number, and an e-mail to call if they give me such an assurance. Microsoft would barely even give me a name which is probably fake after about 15 minutes of explaining the occurence of false promises. Well, as long as I get Office for the same price as iWork, I am happy. :)

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks, I wasn't even aware of that. I'll have to fiddle a bit w/ that! :eek: :D

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My iBook's mic barely picks me up from 6 feet away...how can you sit in a class and record a professor?

21. Chef Medeski thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Well, some of my classes my professor is 6 feet away. Also, some of my professors have microphones and therefore can be better heard all over the room. With input volume and volume at 100% I get a good quiet voice from my professor. Sure its a bit weak, but its nbetter than nothing. And whenever it isn't enough I can export it to iTunes and increase the volume 2 fold. So, I have never had a problem.

22. deetschei macrumors member

hey, nothing against the scholars workstation- just Mac office ;)