Office for mac 2006?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Linam, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Linam macrumors regular

Hi there I am just wondering whether MS is going to make a new Office for mac in the near future and if they do would they update MSN Messenger.
    Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The new version of Office for Mac probably won't be released until after Office for Windows gets updated (to 12.0). I have no idea about Messenger though. I would be extremely surprised if Microsoft cut development of Office for Mac.

3. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

Did MS not make Office for mac before Windows in the beginning?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, Word (and Excel) was made for the Mac before Windows existed AFAIK. :)

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

idunno why ... but I have this feeling that we will not be seeing any office updates for the mac any time soon :(.

What else could they upgrade.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Word

"Word for Macintosh was derived from Word for DOS, and in the same way eventually became the source for Word for Windows 1.0. After Word for Mac was released in 1985, it gained wide acceptance: like other Mac software, Word for Mac was a true what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) editor. There was no Word 2.0 for Macintosh; this was the first attempt to synchronize version numbers across platforms."

9. emutree macrumors member

Well they have to be working on a universal binary version of Office (migrating to XCode if I'm correct), and given how the Windows Office team is in development of Office 12 right now it would make sense that the Mac team would not waste time porting the current version and then beef it up but rather assemble a new version. My guess is if they don't come out with a Universal Binary when Apple first unleashes the Intels they'll coast on Rosetta for a few months but eventually the next version they unleash will bring both Intel support and the goodies from Office 12 (I wonder if they'll revamp the interface for the Mac client too?).

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Microsoft have announced that there will be a new Mac release.

11. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I'd prefer if they retain the existing interface. I don't want resource-hogging fancy interfaces taking up my CPU power as what we've seen in the Office 12 beta...

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have heard directly from somebody at the MacBU that they are actively working on Office 12, including support for the new XML formats (which I believe Windows Office already supports?).

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Microsoft will most likely release a new version of Office for Macintosh in 2007.

Office 97 [Q4 1996] (W)
    Office 98 [Q2 1998] (M)

Office 2000 [Q1 1999] (W)
    Office 2001 [Q4 2000] (M)

Office v. X [Q4 2001] (M)

Office XP [Q2 2001] (W)
    Office X [Q4 2001] (M)

Office 2003 [Q4 2003] (W)
    Office 2004 [Q2 2004] (M)

Office 12.0 [Q4 2006] (W)

14. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Adding OneNote!!#£$!

Pretty please, with sugar on top.

15. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Just my input here...I don't think they'll be any Office update until Apple switches to Intel processors. Chances are that Microsoft won't update Office until at least six months after the switch, just to make things run more smoothly on Mactels.

I'm not sure if it will be an actual new version of Office, maybe just a Office 2004:Mac Intel Version or something like that.

In the next Office update though, let's hope Microsoft improves speed in all the applications. They're so slow, and they don't exactly have the nicest-looking interface either.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think that's a pretty safe bet. :p

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Let's just hope they keep the current menu-driven system. Apparently, with Office 12 for Windows they are redesigning the UI. I hope the MacBU realizes that the majority of current Office aren't going to want relearn how to use Word, Excel or PowerPoint. Even C|Net (who is typically pro-Microsoft) reported that Office 12's UI had a "steep learning curve."

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

At WWDC, Roz Ho (MacBU General Manager) said that they were in the process of porting Office to Xcode. I would say that was a hint that it may take longer for Microsoft to release a universal binary version of Office for Mac compared with other vendors.

I hope Rosetta lives up to its hype.

19. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502

Question for you guys. I use Excel (Office 2000) all day at work on a Windows machine. I make extensive use of the shortcut keys. I really try not to use the mouse when I can. Is there a setting or hack or add-in for the Mac version of Excel that will make the keyboard shortcuts work the same way as on a Windows machine? I don't own a Mac (yet), but I'd hate to think that in a few years regardless of whether I'm working on a Windows or a Mac OS at home or work that I'll have to learn new shortcuts. From what I've read the interface will change dramatically in Office 2006. I read that some or most shortcuts will work but they won't necessarily be documented because MS wants everyone to learn the new interface. I own Office 2003 at home, based on what I've read about the Mac version and future Windows version, I probably won't be doing any upgrades any time soon. Excel is the only program I really get into. I want to learn VBA, too. Can that work on a Mac?

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If they bring in the paper clip heads will roll....

21. harveypooka macrumors 65816

The interface is horrible. It's like the bastard son of a water bottle and some sliding doors. It's aqua to the max...ugh.

22. rebhaf macrumors member

I wasn't ever able to find this type of setting or application. I just printed out this PDF (for Excel, but there's one for Word too) and taped it up on my desk...
    http://calpact.berkeley.edu/info/handouts/PDF/Excel2001_Mac_Shortcuts.pdf

When I'm on my PC, I use F4 religiously, but on my Mac I have to hold down 'cntrl' and 'Y' at the same time. I just can't get used to it.