Office for Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by guyute, Feb 4, 2004.

1. guyute macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone here has purchased Office for mac students and teachers edition. If so how do they check for student authenticity. I am not a student but definately can't spend $400 on Office. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

They didn't check me, I've heard that they randomly check some people though through the school you list on the edu. store.

3. laserbeahm macrumors member

I bought my copy at Best Buy. They didn't check. I doubt that the cashier even realized that you had to be a student to buy it.

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Office for Mac

The larger stores like Fry's and Best Buy don't check. M$ knows this, and doesn't care. Heck if they sold it at ten bucks a pop they'll still be making money.

Just check out one of the other threads on this subject and see what some universities and colleges are selling them for.

FYI I bought M$ Office (Teachers and Students version) for PC's at Fry's and the Mac version of the same at the Apple store. Neither one checked. Of course I was covered anyway, as my wife does work at a school, but although the Apple store asked, they didn't check.

Here's Fry's site...

http://www.outpost.com

Good luck :)

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

clarification...

Apple employees don't actually have to check. They can sell them to anyone, the only caveat is that the stu/teach version cannot be updated if a new version comes out.

By the way...if you are not a student, why can't you afford and why do you need MS Office?