Office for OS X Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Toe-zog, May 29, 2002.

1. Toe-zog macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just a hypothetical question to fill your busy days.

Let's say that a friend gave me a burned copy of Office. Now let's say that I installed it, but it still shows as registered to him. When the Office update comes out in July, would I be able to collect it without those slippery snakes at Microsoft causing problems? If not, is there a way around the registration issue that doesn't involve me shelling out a ton of cash to America's least favorite overlord?

Thanx

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF you are talking about a downloadable update (minor update), you should be able to get it. If you are talking about an update to orfice (major update), such as a new version, nope.

Why you would use m$ orfice willingly is beyond me, "free" or not.

One thing to keep in mind... IF you do get caught the fines are rather heavy/nasty. Thousands of dollars or jail time. Is it really worth the risk???

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Well, yes and no. The first thing they would do is ask him to regester it (i.e. pay for it) in his own name. That's what they do with corps.

But him getting caught as a single, home-user is about as likely as winning the lottery.

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Any idea when the service pack is out? I read it was supposed to be out at the end of may or start of june! So any news about it?

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The microsoft website just says "Coming soon — Office v. X, Service Release 1". I don't know how long that's been there, but it sure sounds like it'll be released any day now.

I wonder what improvements it will bring?

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

The article I read said it would fix 1300 bugs / performance issues.