Office for OSX test drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Aug 1, 2003.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I bought Microsoft Office for OSX. I have a product ID number that shows up when I open up Word or Excel. However, when I open up a .doc or .xls file that I created from Word or Excel, I get a message that I have x # of days left in my "test drive." I don't get that message when I open up Word or Excel from the main program icon?? When I do, I can see my produce ID #. What's with this????

Thanks.

Frank

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Some Macs (I know the PowerBooks do) come with Office v.X testdrive, which is like a month trial of Office v.X. I haven't tried it with Office already installed, but see if after the trial is over if it works like normal, it should. If not, have you tried opening the files that say you have "x # of days left" then saving it in Word and seeing if the files then are seen by the full version of Office?

3. saint macrumors regular

If you have the test drive installed on your computer, delete it.

If you select "get info" for a word or excel document, and go to "open with", you might have a test drive version of word and a full version of word in the list there.
    Change the selection to the full version and then set that to be the default.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Saint,

Where do I find the "get info" choice?? I looked all over the Excel program and couldn't find it anywhere??

Frank

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

well I found test drive, erased it, but I still get the test drive on my files when I open them directly without first opening Excel???

Frank

6. hkruschwitz macrumors newbie

it might help if you deleted everything in the ~/library/preferences/ folder that seems to belong to the ms office test drive, since that is the place where the "days left"-information is stored. ms office will restore every necessary data that you will delete falsely.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

To "Get info" you click on the icon and hit command+I

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I found the Get Info, but the Open With is grayed out and selectable!

Frank

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Are you doing get info on the original icon or an alias icon?

10. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>> original icon or an alias<<

It is the original. When I use another view of the open folder, it shows to be an "application" with a huge file size.

Frank

11. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Back up your Office-related documents first. Office X Test Drive comes with an Uninstaller. Run it. Then search your HD for "Office" trash everything. Empty Trash. Install full version of Office X. it sounds like some of your documents want to open with the Test Drive and some want the regular app. You can control this by cntrl+Clicking on a file (from the Finder) and setting the Open With menu. It sounds like you're making a mess over there. Back up your docs to a CD and just trash it all and install Office clean. fix your pemissions once in a while.