Office Mac 2004 worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by '73-B, Feb 10, 2006.

1. '73-B macrumors regular

I'm contemplating upgrading from Office Mac v.X to 2004. Is the new version worth the upgrade? Should I hold out for the next version of Office for Mac??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

[QUOTE='73-B]I'm contemplating upgrading from Office Mac v.X to 2004. Is the new version worth the upgrade? Should I hold out for the next version of Office for Mac??[/QUOTE]

There's expected to be one around the time Vista launches, I think? MS has started talking about it, and it sounds like the Mac and Windows ones are going to be closer in time this round.

I *did* upgrade from .X to 2004. I have been very happy with it. There are lots of things about 2004 I like. It was kind of a waste of money in some senses, especially since my .X was a site license and so I couldn't re-sell it. But I love 2004. It's very, very nice. :)

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think it is. I managed to get it cheap, thanks to the whole education price thing and all, so that made it a little easier to swallow the thought of buying something I would never use (Entourage). But, I find the 2004 Word to be vastly superior to X. I guess a lot depends on usage. My biggest joy with the new Word is being notebook view. I think it makes taking notes much easier and more organized.

This potential release of Word more like the Windows version has me scared. I was looking at some of the screenshots that they have for the beta (or whatever it is right now), and I dont' like it. I guess MS can't kill the menu bar on a Mac, so that makes it a little better, but it just didn't look right.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Any links for images of the betas of the new Mac:Office? I haven't come across any? I'm not sure I plan on upgrading, though.

5. '73-B thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and ordered it, luckily I qualify for the education price/version, which definitely makes it an easier pill to swallow. I did get a good 3 1/2 years out of Office v.X. What's the chance of that happening again!?

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

my v.X stopped working for me under 10.4.4 dunno why

shrug, had to go to NeoOffice for the time being.

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I was gonna post that, damn you!
    Like he said :)mad: ), notebook view is invaluable. Once you've used it for a big project, you won't go back. It's really like having a notebook. Except you can't lose it, or spill coffee on it, or drop all the pages out of it. Plus you can back it up.

AppleMatt ;)