Office on Mac Intel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pris, Jul 28, 2006.

1. pris macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is it possible to run Microsoft Office 2004 on mac InteL? I have a Mac Book Pro and some people told me that will not run?!! Could anyone explain this to me? And also, if it's really not possible to run, which is the best option foropening and working with .doc and .xls documents?

Thank you

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It runs fine. It takes a little longer to start than it would on a PowerPC system, but other than that it's perfect (so long as you're running version 11.2 or higher, earlier versions had a couple of weird incompatibilities. The AutoUpdate tool will sort out the update for you).

3. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Definitly runs fine on my MBP. I just wish I had "Outlook" or something that would import my personnel mailboxes from Outlook. But as far as "Word and Excel", just fine Thank-You!!

Bill......:D

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It runs pretty well on my MBP! PowerPoint can be a bit jerky at times, but I suppose that's Rosetta...

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was under the impression that Entourage could do this. I'm certainly no expert, but I have no trouble with using it to get my mail at work, which as far as I know is stored on an Exchange (Outlook) server.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not to go too far OT, but Merc, have you seen if this can help you:

http://scriptbuilders.net/files/exportimportentourage1.3.9.html

EDIT: Nermal, I assumed what he meant is that he has .pst files with messages in them. That's a no-go for Entourage out of the box. It can access an exchange server, though. (And of course, if you have an Exchange server, you can use the server to get your mail over, if you have liberal quotas!!! ;) )

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm going to ask a really stupid question now (just for curiosity sake) is the Microsoft Office program a PC or mac version?

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Office 2004 is a Mac version. The newest Windows Office is Office 2003.

Office apps start noticeably faster on my 2.0 GHz Intel iMac than on my 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4.

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok thanks for the heads up I was wondering

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The only compatibility issue is if you try and do motion paths in PowerPoint. For some reason, they decided to remove them in PowerPoint for Mac. Hopefully they will make an appearance in the next version though, as it's really difficult to do animutations without motion paths!

11. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

sooo does anyone know when thecode will be universal because its a little slow and choppy on my macbook...

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nobody knows. Well, Microsoft and probably Apple know but nobody on this board knows. Hopefully there will be some information at WWDC regarding Microsoft's approach be it releasing a Universal patch for Office:mac 2004 or if they will wait till Office:mac 2007 to go Universal a la Adobe Creative Suite which isn't going to be a Universal application until the new version, CS3.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

From the Microsoft Intel FAQ:

Q. Will you re-release Office 2004 for Intel-based Macs?

A. No. There are no plans to re-release Office 2004. With Rosetta, Office 2004 runs well on Intel-based Macs.

Q. Will the next version of Office run on both PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs?

A. Yes. The next version of Office for Mac will be a Universal application.

14. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

same... never had any problems.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

With plenty of RAM (I have 2GB), it runs fine. Rosetta loves memory. At 512MB, Office is apparently a dog.

16. pris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everbody. I've jut installed it, it is working.

The only problem now it this message that appers everytime I open the program:

"an unexpected error occured while trying to load the Microsoft Framework Library", but besides that it is working.. a little slow as you said...

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Cheers Nermal. Thanks for the info.

18. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the help. I have 1GB on my Macbook, and some format changes are slow and choppy on office so i decided to ask. Now i know, i will wait for the 2007 to be released, which seems like it will run alot smoother!