Office problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 20, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I have Office for OSX loaded on. For the heck of it, I d/l'ed Office 2004 test drive. I played with it a few days using Entourage, Word, and Excel. Cool, but not worth the upgrade price. So I uninstalled it. Now, my Excel and Word files demonstrate a 10660 Error message when I try to open them directly from their file icons.

However, I can open up Word and Excel and open the respective files from within the program. But, even if I save them under Word and/or Excel for OSX, I still get the same error message when I try to open them from their individual file icons.

Obviously, something from Office 2004 interferred with these files since this didn't happen before.

Any assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Do a Get Info on one of the files and see what the default "Open with:" application is. Make sure it is your current copy of Office. If not, change it and click on "Change All..."

You may also want to try deleting the preferences files.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

EMW,

Thanks. Going into Get Info and changing it back to the "default" worked. I had to do it for both Word and Excel files. Should I delete the Preference Files too?? Or leave well enough alone since I'm back in business??

Thanks.

Frank

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

If it's working, leave the prefs alone.