Office product key de-authorisation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lonepilgrim, May 27, 2006.

1. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it's possible (or necessary) to de-authorise one of the product keys that comes with MS Office (student/teacher edition). It comes with three keys, ie three licenses. The first key was used on my desktop machine which I shortly afterwards clean-installed, and I moved on to the second key (perhaps a silly idea in hindsight) for that re-install, then I put the third on my laptop.

So the first key is no longer in use, but I need it for my new laptop. Can I just re-use it, or will Micro$oft know and not let me? Should I contact them? Has anyone successfully used a product key twice?

I signed up for their silly Passport service (as I had to do to register the app), but there's nothing on there to manage my product registrations etc.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the answer is that it's unnecessary... I don't think Office.X or 2004 uses any kind of online product license registration. You are legally bound to only be running three instances, and those three must comply with the limitations (same family, etc), but that's it, AFAIK.

3. Queso macrumors G4

The first one should still work. Microsoft only get alerted if the same key gets used a lot, but if it's only one re-install, they won't even care.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Windows version of course.

4. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about Office for Mac. That's good news. Well, I'm installing with that key this week, I'll let anyone know if the MS Police come round to arrest me. Or - more likely - if that happens, you will never hear from me again. :eek:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You should be fine - the licenses cover 3 parallel installations. You can install any given one of them as often as you like, as long as no more than 3 are installed at any given time. If you have an issue - and you won't - just call MS.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Ah that's good. I saw Core Duo in your sig and thought you might be doing the Boot Camp thing.

Too confusing these days :confused:

7. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh, i don't want that OS taking a single byte of my hard disk!