Office SW - OpenOffice Qs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plutnicki, May 22, 2006.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

I currently have a 1Ghz TiBook, but am planning on getting a new MacBook (non Pro, time for an upgrade..). I need some Office SW, but I have a little different problem than most, my company uses Sun's StarOffice. Of course, there is no StarOffice for Mac, so it looks like OpenOffice is the way to go. I can't get a good feel whether or not OpenOffice runs well on an Intel Mac, and what to do to get it to work properly.

Would I actually be better off keeping my TiBook and running the OpenOffice that runs for PPC?

There is a link on the OpenOffice page for some universal binaries for OpenOffice, but the disk that mounts is very confusing to find the right file for me..

Thanks in advance.

2. SJK123 macrumors member

I too am wondering if this is a good app. for the intel based macs? I am considering swithing to a mac but I dont want to fork out the extra money for another version of office.

3. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

Installed

I downloaded the PPC based OpenOffice and played around with it this weekend. Works basically like StarOffice, which I'm familiar with. Not many Fonts, seems like there are ways to fix that though.

I wouldn't call StarOffice a great application, but it would suit my needs for now and is compatible with what I must use for work.

4. SJK123 macrumors member

plutnicki,

Do you know if there is an intel native build? Also, if it is running under rosetta, is the spped adaquate? Again, my goal is to simply replace MS office for word and excel type documents.

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

There is an intel build, but it's currently an alpha build. I've haven't used openoffice 2.0, but I tried it awhile ago and simply can't stand X11. I've stuck with MS Office.

6. plutnicki thread starter macrumors regular

There is

There is a non-QA'ed alpha build for Intel. Right now, I'm running the pure PPC version, with X11, on a 1Ghz PowerBook (haven't gotten my new MacBook yet). It runs OK on this, we'll see how it runs on the MacBook once I get it.

The other option is NeoOffice, which appears to be some sort of offshoot of OpenOffice that runs Natively on OS X. Haven't DL'ed that to try it yet. There is some sore of Beta for an Intel version of NeoOffice, but you have to pay to be a Beta tester. Honestly, I haven't looked at it that closely.