Office Test Drive a lie?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rye9, Jan 7, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

My iBook was ordered on Dec. 16th, first turned on Dec. 25th, and I wanted to use Word to type a report today so I opened Word from the Test Drive folder. It installed fonts, I agreed to the license, and then as Word opened, it said my Test Drive has expired! How can this be and what should I do? Also, is it true that you can't print documents that you make with the Test Drive? With this fuss, I am pretty sure I'll just buy iWork '06 if it's out next week and not have to deal with this Microsoft nonsense.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You really should just go purchase Office. It's your only permeant solution. Plus, it's a great program to have.

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I might if Pages 2 in the new iWork isnt greatly improved. If the new Pages looks like Word, I'll probabl get it. I personally don't like the Pages toolbar and stuff, not enough stuff in it and I like Word where you can just click to use bold or change the alignment. If the new Pages has this, I will buy it but for now I wanted to use the Word test Drive bc I like it better than Pages as of now but as you can see, the test drive didnt work. But the other thread about this problem has a link to apple.com where I can download a version of MS Office test drive that will work. I will use that for now.

5. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Just download OpenOffice or NeoOffice, unless 100% accurate rendering of MS Office documents is important to you.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Pages is a layout program that can be used for word processing. Word is a word processor with many other features. Pages cannot compare to Word when it comes to straight word processing. Even if Apple updates Pages, don't except them to change it to a true word processing program.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

ewwww. As much as I love open source programs (I'm a linux freak), OO and NeoOffice aren't good enough if you are going to be transferring documents to other computers or people. While they have come alone way, they still have a long way to go.

8. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

i agree with grapes completely. OO and Neo aren't too great of programs. stick with iLife that came with your iBook. Congratulations on the magnificent addition! :D

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just get AbiWord while you wait. Good word processor with an unbeatable price... :)

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

leave the test drive along and just buy the product....it would only last 30 days anyway...oppz it didnt did it;)

Bless

11. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

This has happened to a few of our customers. It seems that some currently shipping macs have an older version of the Office trial which has an automatic expiry date that's already passed.

If you're really determined to try office, you can download a working version of the trial from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/mac It's on there somewhere.

12. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Thanks, but I already did and already typed my report. However, I had to use TextEdit to print it though, but I did get to use Word which was the main point anyways. I decided that I didn't like the inability to customize toolbars bc I only needed two and i couldnt get rid of the icons i didnt want so I could fit two bars side by side. Instead, they had to be placed one below the other which looked stupid. I like large window with the built in toolbar. However, i do not like the icons and functions of them in the toolbar. I like Word's icons with one function as opposed to Pages icons with drop down menus. Also, I like how I can choose font size, font, bold, underline, and alignment from Word's toolbar. If only Word and Pages could be combined. For now Im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'll just have to see what comes out at MWSF!

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Mac screenshot looks very nice and comprehensive ... I wonder how many people have turned to this free application. It is hard to judge without trying something, but plenty of users do not have overly demanding needs in the word processing arena and this program may be a good fit.