Office upgrade for Intel Mac...?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by marchcapital, Aug 5, 2006.

1. marchcapital macrumors regular

marchcapital

Ive been using my G4 MS Office software on my MaBook but it drives me crazy that everything i do is delayed. I only have 1GB of RAM at the moment but its no excuse for all the delays. Is there an upgrade I can purchase that converts it to run smoothley on an intel Mac?

2. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

There's no universal binary upgrade availabe yet. Microsoft has committed to developing one but it is not out yet. You could try Neo Office. It's a universal binary and is based on OpenOffice.

3. marchcapital thread starter macrumors regular

marchcapital

ill take a look at that...good to here bill is planning to upgrade.

4. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

God knows when Microcrap will release a universal binary for MAC.
    You better off waiting for the new Virtualization software that should be coming out in the next few months. That should let you run native Windows Apps in OS X. Then Word, Office, etc... will run nicely.

5. marchcapital thread starter macrumors regular

marchcapital

That would be ideal...

6. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I suppose that would work but I prefer to run my software as navite OS X apps.

7. marchcapital thread starter macrumors regular

marchcapital

Email Software

Does anyone know of a Email software that has the same features as Entourage for Mac and Outlook for Windows? Like an open source software for example, other then Thunderbird.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Microsoft are not releasing a universal binary update for any current release of Office v.X you will need to buy the next version they release.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=macIntelQA

Q. Will you re-release Office 2004 for Intel-based Macs?

A. No. There are no plans to re-release Office 2004. With Rosetta, Office 2004 runs well on Intel-based Macs.

Q. Will the next version of Office run on both PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs?

A. Yes. The next version of Office for Mac will be a Universal application. Universal applications will run on PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs without the need for Rosetta.