Office v.X and Office 2004?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jhomayne, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jhomayne macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2004
    again, this may be a stupid question but i was wondering what the difference was between these 2 products?
    and i see that if you buy office v.X at the moment you can get office 2004 for free..

can someone explain, the product details didn't seem to be very enlightening..

2. redkore macrumors member

Oct 4, 2003
  3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    I must say that all the Apps are more snappy

Also they have a translucent window, bet your impressed now :D
  4. Zaty macrumors 65816

Mar 14, 2004
    Office 2004 has some new features that could only be found on Windows versions, e.g. smart buttons, reference tools, etc. It also offers better compatibility with Office for WindowsSo if you have a choice, go for 2004 because it's up to date whereas v. X. is 3 years old.
  5. KershMan macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2003
    VA, USA
    Entourage Project Center

This is a great feature. You can create a project and link all your contacts, mail, calendars, and tasks to that project. It gives you a single, organized interface to access all that project information. You can even put a pointer to files on your hard drive.

Also, Entourage has much better support for Exchange 2000 and newer. One thing that I am looking forward to when we update to Exchange 2003 later this summer is when you create an Exchange account in Entourage you DO NOT have to use the Exchange server but can point directly to the server hosting your Web Outlook, if you have one. For me this is great because now I won't need VPN to access my Exchange mail through Entourage when I travel I can piggy back off the Web Outlook. This is a really neat feature.
  6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Go take a look here:

I like 2004 better than v.X. PPT has a neat new presentation mode that is pretty useful. Word can take audio notes and now has a built in dictionary :eek:! That one was a plus for me - I always wondered why they only had a Thesaurus.

Best wishes,
  7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Three years as opposed to what I was using 10 years ago that did pretty much the same things in the same way and still works if you have an old computer?

Upgrades are a very important part of Microsoft's business plan. They'll put them out whether they add anything of value or not. How do you really improve a word processor or a spreadsheet? You don't. You can't. They are what they are and they've been pretty well perfected for a long time. So what you do instead of improve them is add unnecessary features that just serve to bloat the software. Just look at the preference pane in Word! All I want to worry about is how big the text is, what font to use, how to space it, how to indent, and as a bonus a spell checker. That's all the options you need in a "word processor."

People are saying that Office 2004 is more stable and responsive than Office X. So what? Shouldn't X have been that stable and responsive? Don't make it sound like Microsoft added anything. They fixed a mistake, that's all.

I've recently rid my Macs of all Microsoft products. For word processing I'm using TextEdit, which comes with OS X. People often overlook it, but it does the job. It doesn't have the bells and whistles (i.e. bloat) of Word, but it doesn't take up my whole screen and just generally stays out of my way. I like that. For the rare cases I need to do something more advanced--a page layout or something--I have AppleWorks ($80 retail, $40 student, free on eMac, iMac, and iBooks). I really don't need to use Appleworks often though.

Look at all your options before you buy. You do have options. You do not need to automatically buy Microsoft Office. If you consider all your options (be an informed consumer here--do a little homework) and decide that MS Office is what you need, then buy it. I'm betting that when you really look at what you want to do, you'll see that MS Office is overpriced and overkill for your needs.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I think that the 2004 is going to be real cool. It will use the abilities of X. The notebook feature will be great to take notes in class or meetings. The audio recording will be especially helpful. :cool: