Office X and Win Office 2000 fonts not compatible???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, Apr 24, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Hmm, I'm confused. I see Microsoft advertising how compatible Office (specifically Word) is sooo compatible between Mac/Windows platforms, but I've yet to believe it. Here is my problem:

I did my resume on my Mac, using Office X (Word). The font I used is Copperplate, which is naturally not a font on my Win2000 machine at work. My resume is just how I want it, the format and font is beautiful. The only problem is, I can't open it on my Win2K machine running Office 2000. Hm, so much for compatibility.

If Office is so compatible, why are there fonts included in the Mac version that aren't in the native M$ version?

Sure I can print my resume and give it to potential employers, but I am afraid to send it to them via email Word format, and them not be able to open it. This would make me look like a goof from the start (as they are most likely using windows).

Any help?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I thought Copperplate is a fairly ubiquitous font, but as I search I find this is not true. There are dozens of Copperplate fonts. I have it on my win2k machine. Several things could be causing you problems here. Are you appending the files with the proper extension (a save option)? Is your wink2k version of M$ Office current or much older than your Mac version? (Remember the newer Office can always open the previous office, but not vvs.) Have you tried a different format, like the universal .RTF? For appearance, have you tried imbedding the font? Why not .PDF/Acrobat it, so it can be opened by any computer. What do you have Copperplate font set to translate as on your other computer? Have you tried converting your Mac Copperplate to the PC (search for freeware)?

Try these links:I think that the two files uploaded are freeware. Convert the .txt to .tft.

Attached Files:

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Copperplate is an old calligraphic style that was later adopted and changed by typesetters (at least that’s my guess). A number of companies offer Copperplate fonts, all very readable. To distinguish them they tend to add numbers and style codes afterwards.

Try downloading some licence free fonts.

Attached Files:

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

The .PDF format of a resume is the best way to send it to an employer. It's safe, reliable, and generally can be opened by most computers. Of the metafile formats, that’s the one I would choose.

As far as printing, keep it simple, use good paper (white or off white), and don't use a jet ink printer.

5. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I would definitely suggest PDFing your resume if you want to use anything besides Times, Arial, Verdana, Tahoma, Trebuchet, or Comic Sans MS (which wouldn't be the best resume choice I think!).

You can always create a boring version of your resume and then a nice PDF version - as a designer, that's what I do. Also, remember that on Windows boxes, the text is not anti-aliased, so even if they have the font, it might look jaggy and nasty when they go to view it! With a PDF, you don't have to worry about that!

Hope that helps,

Alia

6. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help. I think .PDF is the safest; I didn't even think of that (thanks).

Sure I can download the Copperplate font to my machine, but technically I'd have to ask my *potential* employer whom I'm sending my resume to do it as well. Not likely that will happen.

Me: Here's my resume. But before you read it, you must go to this website, download this font, install it on you PC, then you can open it. Look foward to the interview.

Employer: (as they delete my resume...)NEEXXTT!!

Thanks again everyone.
    coolbreeze

7. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Embed the font if you must. The PDF is still the best way, as it will contain the font and display it. If you don't have Acrobat, then go to your local Kinkos or copy center and use their software.

I have to be honest, your right- they would delet it, but one of the rules (unwritten standards) of resumes is to keep them simple. Arial, Verdina, and Tahoma are all good substitutes and they exists on both Windows and Mac.

I need to recreate my resume, and your thread reminds me of this. They have threatened to axe all off my staff and me. They are already trying to sublease my office. It's a tough job market out there. There are 1.5 million job openings and 8 million unemployed people vying for those jobs.

Best of luck and skill.