Office X issues - Won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ddzczc, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ddzczc macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm having some problems with Office X.

I installed Entourage to 11.2.5. I dragged the folder to applications and also ran the installer for it (Entourage only, not office)

My new version of Entourage is working perfectly.

My office X suite is not working anymore though. I was going to remove Entourage from the Office suite b/c it wasn't needed anymore but I left it anyway.

My word, powerpoint, excel, etc won't open now. The error I get is "The application excel/word quit unexpectedly"

I tried removing the old out of date entourage and it's still having problems. the old version is 10.2.10 I believe.

I tried to reboot the workstation, still same problem.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, i'm quite new to Mac OsX. I don't want to remove my newer version of entourage b/c it took me a while to import and configure it.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have no idea why you are running Entourage 2004 and remanents of Office v.X simultaneously, but it is probably a bad idea. Entourage 2004 is part of Office 2004 and shares files with other applications in Office 2004. In your present configuration, Entourage 2004 is probably trying to use files from Office v.X, which is the likely cause of your problem. I know of nothing that Office v.X does better than Office 2004. Ditch Office v.X and stop confusing Entourage 2004.

3. ddzczc thread starter macrumors newbie

I had no choice but to upgrade entourage b/c the previous version didn't support exchange. I can't upgrade the entire suite, I only have entourage available.

BTW: It sounds like your snapping, chill out, it's only the internet, did your wife beat you up last night??

UPDATE: Resolved the issue, thanks :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This was totally uncalled for. Lots of people--especially newbies like yourself--make mistakes. Many of their mistakes are worse than yours. I try to explain to them why what they are going is a bad idea. Most do not take this personally and few assume that I am snapping at them. Of those, even fewer presume to give lectures about the tone of the advice. If you want help in the future, I suggest that you accept advice with the grace it was given and not respond negatively when you receive it.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Just to make sure I'm clear here ... you're trying to run Entourage 2004 (11.2.5) with Office X (10.something.something). Is that correct?

If that's the case, then I have bad news for you. You can't mix-and-match your versions of Office with 2004 and X. You're going to have to run Office 2004 with Entourage 2004.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

--
    Nadyne Mielke | user experience researcher
    Microsoft Corporation | Macintosh Business Unit
    go ahead, mac my day