Office X SR1 - Problems, damn M$!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Jun 3, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, myself and Backtothemac are both experiencing problems with the SR1 release of Office X.
    When any M$ Office app is launched after the update it is asking for the CD-Key, when we enter our keys they are not accepted! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Is this just us or is everyone else having the same problem?

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

All you have to do is trash the folder. And reinstall. That will solve the problem. Don't reinstall the update thought, or you will be right back in the same boat.

3. mfiske macrumors newbie

Uhm...

...that doesn't 'SOLVE' anything.

It is ABSOLUTE bullsh1t to pay THIS much for software, just to have it lock you out of using it, not to MENTION the fact that it does so without warning.

Whatever. I'm trashing it, dumping IE, and going Chimera all the way. Microsoft just UN-invited itself from my iBook. I'll survive just fine in AppleWorks.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm glad that I have been using AppleWorks (6.2.x) under OS X and have not gone and picked up m$ orfice. Appleworks does everything I need, and launches hellafast (one or two bounces, that's it).

I won't pay hard earned money to m$ just so that can f*ck me over later.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

actually it works fine if you paid for Office:Mac.. it just blows up if it is a pirated version.

Im doing fine here... I support MS protecting their software from pirates.

If you actually had this happen and you paid for it give them a call and Im sure they will work with you to solve the problem.

Good luck;

C-

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I agree with you that they should have a right to protect their software. But they do not have the right to do so without first letting you know that you will have to reinstall. That is the complaint that I have. Update, then kill. That is crazy.

7. mfiske macrumors newbie

Uhm...

...you are wrong. MY copy (along with the copies of many others, I suspect) IS paid for, and on the phone, I got 45 minutes of runaround.

Here's an idea: THINK, long and hard, about whether or not your have sufficient information to reply to a topic, and before you end up saying something stupid like you just did.

8. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm sure microsoft have a copy of surfers serials somewhere, and just blocked the s/n on the list with this update. I'd have been more surprised if they hadn't done something like this! You're right b2tm, a warning beforehand might have been courteous... but then using their software without paying for it isn't exactly a very friendly thing to do either is it.

All the same, wait about a week, and i'm sure you'll be able to find valid s/n's in a google group pretty easily :p

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Uhm...

Well, I agree with you, but tone it down a little ok. There is no need for a flamewar. Now based on your problem, I would flat out go see an attorney. Seriously, go to small claims.

Your honor, I bought it, here is proof, they release a SR, and it kills my install. I lost X time and X dollars fixing their F**K up.

That is what I would do.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Um, you would be correct sir, you would be correct. I agree that using a pirate copy is crappy, but so is selling me a copy for 400 bucks that will never be able to run in X without a new 500 dollar version, or what ever it costs. I think the cost of software is out of control. Personally.

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no problem paying for software so long as I feel the price is reasonable, and I don't think it is for any M$ product.
    I bought OS X because I think that the price (£99) is a very reasonable price for what you are getting, but £400 for Office X complete with all it's bugs for free...I don't think so.

12. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I agree completely. Microsoft charge the same price in every country in the world. Whilst $400 isn't *that* much for your middle-income american, think about how much that's going to seem to a russian, or african.... ludicrous, in my opinion.

13. fuge macrumors member

My install worked fine from the start. Hoping there are no future problems.

There is a legit way to get a copy of Office X for free. I did. I participated in a usability study for Microsoft. Most of you don't live near Seattle but for those that do and wouldn't mind spending some time out of your day the usability studies are a great way to get some legit free software.

After my 40 minute study doing 7 tasks on a palm keyboard the engineer asked me what software I wanted and I said, "I'd like Office X for mac please." He said, "I think we have that in stock, I'll be right back." Two minutes later I walked out of Microsoft thankful that I got a $400+ piece of software for basically free. (minus time and gas of course)

As far as pricing? If you don't like it then don't buy it.

IF you bought it then you have every right to expect it to work.

fuge

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: m$$$$ OFFICE

Don't go pissing down my back and tell me it's raining...

15. Sanan Mogoi macrumors newbie

greetings from brazil. maybe i can help you guys. try this serial number after the v.x service pack : *****-*****-*****-*****-*****. good luck or boa sorte !

<edit note: Please do not post information condoning warez or any hacks. The admins strictly forbid it. :)>

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ohhh, we have a new troll. You are so right billy boy. Nothing like an outlook .dll file to just give you the happy day feelings. Oh, wait, what a new virus that attacks Outlook. Oh, that is Bill himself said that he wanted the next version of Office to be like the one that the MBU has developed. Dude, ****, and go play with your PC.

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well....i would welcome you to macrumors, but then, frankly, I don't want to...why don't you p*ss off and join a winblows forum where u belong.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, um, as much as I know that you are trying to help. Arn, Blakespot, Eye, Duke, and Macrumors, will kill your post. Putting stuff up like that can put the site in trouble.

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no worries...he's been warned & the thread's been edited... ;)

20. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well....i would welcome you to macrumors, but then, frankly, I don't want to...why don't you p*ss off and join a winblows forum where u belong.

21. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: m$$$$ OFFICE

I thought he (she?) was being sarcastic. No-one's *that* stupid, are they? I hope not!

22. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

stupid M$

I'm leaving this one alone. I had a simlar problem when I upgraded from office 2k1. I vlew a few hundred on an upgrade that then wouldn't recognize the old software as legit (it was, I assume, it was a christmass present, but it came wrapped.)

A few hours on the phone and some kindsoul decided that maybe I wasn't lying and helped me fix it.

Its not worth it anymore, dealing with the M$ blog, I'm tired of trying. I'm pretty sure that Gates is a bully-idiot with no clue whats going on outside his realm and no real feel for tech. He knows ausive business, sure, but the products are turning to crap.:(

23. Sanan Mogoi macrumors newbie

sorry ! i didn´t know ...:)

24. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Re: m$$$$ OFFICE

If they were then I apologize and do welcome them to macrumors, *but*, if they're not then....:mad:

25. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

your absolutely right

This really isn't the place. I like this site, don't mess it up for the rest of us.

Hey, didn't mean to harp on you, I started typing before I saw the other threads adressing it