Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osiris315

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Valencia, Spain
persianpunisher said:
Hey, whats the difference between between these two, and which is better? Thanks

Office 2004 is the latest edition, and generally held as a better product than even Office 2003 for Windows.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Yes, but for some reason I must read some work files with word X because 2004 doesn't display the graphics and MS support says my graphics aren't compatible and they can't help me, the files were created with Office for windows 2001. :mad:

callan

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2005
Leicester UK
Isnt the main change the project center? With very little changing in the individual applications?

Does anyone know if in 2004 the Excel Visual Basic has been updated to the standard used in the PC version?? This is one change I'd like to see.

I havent actually used 2004 though, is it a lot better than X?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
2004 has Project Manager which, to this day, I still don't really know it's usefulness. Also, I think Entourage has a few more features but nothing to email home about.

Bahahahaha, sorry, bad pun. :eek:

Anyway, Office X is perfectly fine for most uses and I'd never recommend updating to 2004. :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
mad jew said:
2004 has Project Manager which, to this day, I still don't really know it's usefulness.

I think that its a lot like Binder that they have/had on Office for Win. It just keeps track of all of your Office documents for a particular project... kind of like smart folders, but for office.

So you can start it and see all the documents, presentations, spreadsheeds (emails ?) that pertain to a specific project.

May or may not be useful, depending on how organized you are... I just create a real folder for projects.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
AmigoMac said:
Yes, but for some reason I must read some work files with word X because 2004 doesn't display the graphics and MS support says my graphics aren't compatible and they can't help me, the files were created with Office for windows 2001. :mad:
It sounds to me as though you have a bad installation. I suggest that you reinstall Word 2004 by drag & drop from the distribution CD. If you have Office 2004, just drag the whole folder over. The takeaway message is that your problem is not normal.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Office X felt very quickly put together and some things didn't quite fit in with Mac OS X styling. Office 2004 looks cleaner and more consistent. I also think 2004 runs smoother and has less problems with compatibility.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I know we shouldn't really keep prodding this thread with new posts considering ~Shard~ gave us a good link to a very similar thread, but:

wwooden said:
Office 2004 looks cleaner and more consistent.

Can you give any examples? That'd be great thanks. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
I know we shouldn't really keep prodding this thread with new posts considering ~Shard~ gave us a good link to a very similar thread, but:

wwooden said:
Office 2004 looks cleaner and more consistent.

Can you give any examples? That'd be great thanks. :)

No worries, it's all good. ;)

As for the apperance, yes, I wouldn't mind some elaboration on this comment as well. I find them both to be equal myself, so maybe it's just a personal thing.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
machobson said:
I find that Office 2004 crashes less than Office X.
ALOT less

when i was using office x i would type all my assignments up on textedit and then copy them over for formatting because it was such a pain to keep starting up and pressing save every 5 minutes.

i think '04 has crashed maybe twice on me ever.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
Office X has crashed only once for me in two years. Maybe I'm just lucky, because I use it a lot. :)

Actually, I'm the same - I've only had Office v.X crash for me a coupe times over the years. I haven't used 2004 enough to comment on its stability (only played with a few times it at a friend's place), but v.X has definitely been stable for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.