Office x?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

I would love to have office x -- mostly for word. But, I see that my demo has expired and now I can buy it. I didn't realize how EXPENSIVE it is.
    So, I guess I won't have it.
    Can I just throw away the whole Office X folder? Or should I keep it?
    Does anyone have office and where did you get it and how much did you pay for it?
    Maybe there is someplace a bit cheaper...
    Cindy

2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

you can get the student edition for $200 or so, if you're a student that is...word x by itself is around $200 at regular retail price.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i had the exact same experience. my demo was ending and i started checking out the prices on office x and was quite surprised. i had no desire to spend several hundred dollars supporting the microsoft empire i had just left. anyway, check out ebay - i found a new, unopened office x package there for under $200.

of course, if you're a student or teacher, the education version is your best (cheapest) option...

marianne

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

If you're a *brave* person, you can also try OpenOffice. It's free, open source and works on X11 :

OpenOffice

It's easy to install (just a few clicks) and requires no CLI to use. It's not just quite as advanced as Office (it's still under development) and has a few compatibility issues with MS Office documents.

5. Maritan macrumors regular

Like whocares suggested, OpenOffice is alright.

OpenOffice is based on Sun's StarOffice. IIRC, even the icons are the same.

I actually tried it on my Windows machine, and created a couple (unimportant) documents on it. I saved it in both its native format (.svx IIRC) and as a .doc file. I opened the .doc version with MS Word (Office 2000) later and found that the text retained its formatting (justified, font size, type - I used Times New Roman). However, a table I created didn't retain formatting. And it was harder for me to change the size of the table etc. Like whocares said, OpenOffice isn't complete by any means, but it does provide you with some basic word processing capabilities.

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Open Office is great but not very compatible to MS Office. If you don't need that OO works very nice and it is easy to install.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Try doing a search for Mellel. It seems like a nice enough word processor (not an office suite though). I'm mostly using Textedit in 10.3 these days.

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

i've seen the full version of office x as low as $250.

I bought it for work at digicomp for $265

also for just reading word files, the panther version of textedit does a pretty good job...

9. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Teacher and student adition is $150 and you dont need to be a student or a teacher to buy it. Just go to best buy and get it, they might ask if you are a student, but it is ok if you are not because you can just say you have a kid that is. They dont check or anything.

10. aldo macrumors regular

11. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Cindy

I don't know a lot about it but have a look at ThinkFree Office too - www.thinkfree.com

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Amazon.com usually has Office for between $100-150. I got mine at CompUSA for $130 two months ago.

13. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I'm at a Uni with an agreement with MS. I got office X for $28 i think...or was it XP for $28 and office for $10. Either way know someone that goes to a major Uni and want a copy of Office? Ask them to get it for you, throw in some extra money for the kid - we are poor after all - and you can probably have the entire suite, no gimp edition, for $50.

14. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

i bought mine through the UMBC bookstore, and i got it for $15, yup, and i bought Office 2003 for $10, and windows XP Pro for $10. It's great to be a student :).