Official 2005 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    OK, so College Football kicks off this week... so its about time we crank things up around here. I've noticed a few more college 'tars floating around so the blood must be flowing.

USC is the team to beat without a doubt IMHO. They return almost everyone, they have been unbeatable for 2 years, and they are the odds on favs to run the table again.

Texas is always in the mix, but always finds a way to choke. Will this year be any different?

Oklahoma will be good as always, but they lost a good bit. Peterson will need to carry more of the load.

What about Miami, Florida State, Michigan, or (fill in the blank).

My 'Dawgs lost a ton of talent and heart with David Green and David Pollack leaving (along with Odell Thurman, Thomas Davis, et. al.). Green was the winningest QB in NCAA history, and we had a great 4 year run. Now its up to Shockley to step up and show what he can do. I consider this a rebuilding year, and we could dip way down... but I remember when P. Manning left Tennessee... T. Martin stepped in and beat Florida and won the National Championship, both of which eluded Manning.

Anyway... post your allegiance, pick your Top 10s, make your case for your team, predict the Heisman, etc. Most of all, enjoy the college football season. There's nothing like it!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  2. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    I think the big game right out of the gate is Ohio State and Texas. Ted Ginn Jr is a bona fide Heisman candidate who can go for six pretty much every time he gets a touch.

Some people are penciling Purdue in to win the Big Ten because they don't play Ohio State and they don't play Michigan. But Tiller seems to always find a way to stumble so we'll see.

For my Spartans, who knows... I think the deciding game on whether they have a good season (8+wins) or a mediocre season (5-7 wins) will be decided in week 3 at South Bend. They get Michigan at home and they don't play Wisconsin or Iowa.

Kiper on ESPN has Penn State as a sleeper. I guess their non-conference is a cakewalk and for the first time in years they've got some talent on both sides.

Can't believe football is here. :)
  3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    USC will win it all.

Beyond that, its anyone's guess.
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I think the saddest part is that only either Texas or Ohio State can contend for a national title because only one can go undefeated .... thats IF they can compile undefeated seasons because I'm sure a few teams will
  5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Notre Dame will be a wild card, as will Florida,
    both with new coaches and talent to work with... Florida more than ND.
    As far as Penn State goes,
    I'd be surprised to see a massive turnaround.

Notable games coming up this weekend...

Saturday, 3rd
    #18 Boise State at #13 Georgia - My Dawgs get baptized with fire to open!
    Notre Dame at #23 Pittsburgh
    Georgia Tech at #16 Auburn

Sunday, 4th
    #8 Virginia Tech at N.C. State

Monday, 5th
    #9 Miami at #14 Florida State

Texas opens with La LaFayette on the 3rd and doesn't get Ohio State till the 10th

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2004
    Notre Dame will be lucky to stay above .500.

Gotta pull for my Longhorns...not sure how the loss of Derrick Johnson is going to affect the defense, though.

As for USC -- great offense, but can their defense hold up? They won a lot of close games last season...I don't think they'll be undefeated this time.

I kinda like the idea of Texas/Ohio St rematch for the title...but, at this point, I'd just be glad for Texas to win the Big XII (beating Oklahoma and winning the Big XII could definitely propel them into the title game...and those tastes of success could go a long way for Mack Brown and the boys)...
  7. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2004
    go georgia tech
    theyre a sleeper they're first game is against auburn techs going to win 17 to 10
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.