Official 360 drive is now quieter

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

From Kotaku

[​IMG]

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

NicE! Now how do we know if we are gettin' one of the better drives? I remember the old Xbox's had some drives that were known to be bad, I got one of the good ones.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm wondering if there's a way of changing the drive ourselves ?

Also I suspect :- as this is a total replacement for the various drives, is it as much to do with stamping out the rampant drive firmware flashing ?

Maybe with 1 drive it will be easier for M$ to tell if you have tampered with your 360's drive firmware and hence block you, (if indeed the new drive can even be tampered with in the first place)....

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

FWIW: I've seen comments on other sites like Joystiq by 360 owners who said theirs was manufactured before Nov06 and they have quiet drives. I bought mine in Nov06, I think the other day I noticed the back had a build date of May06, but my drive is pretty quiet; no more noisy than any other optical drive I've ever had or used. :confused:

The Joystiq link said this has been reported as being only in 360s manufactured Nov06 or sooner, and not before. Again - mine is before Nov06 and mine's quiet. Guess I got lucky?? I dunno... /shrug

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

According to the x-scene version of this article I read, they began to filter these drives in in Nov06. Also, there's a known way to edit the old version of this drive, so they're already fiddling with it for this version :)

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I've heard of others with drives from july and they are quiet.

Which like I say makes me think this is more to do with anti-piracy than quieter 360's.

They dont want to say that officially though as it would make more people aware that flashing your 360's drive to allow dvd-r playback was possible.

So role out a new tamperproof drive and say it's reacting to requests for a quieter drive.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Funnily enough, Miss Jaffa Cake's 360 had to go in for repair under warranty recently and arrived back with us today. A quick look at the serial number confirmed that it's a new machine, not the old one repaired – and the first thing we both noticed is that the drive is much, much quieter than the old one. It looks like we might have been lucky and got one of the new super-duper ones.

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

Everything with investments is time as well as money. You had the time with a 360 that non-early adopters didn't have. How many people will buy a 360 because it's quieter? Not a huge selling point. If it's important to you, sell it and buy one of the newer ones!

10. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I bought a 360 four days ago and it sounds like it has thrusters that are about to make it shoot up through the ceiling. Guess I was unlucky, oh well, it's still good fun.

11. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I got a 360 in January and it too sounds like I've wandered into an air show. Really, really awful during gameplay.

I've already cracked open the system to put some padding around the drive to quieten it a little. It's still pretty bad, but some of the vibration-related noise is gone. I've got a Toshiba drive.

From what I've read, it seems each 360's drive has a unique encryption key embedded in its firmware. That drive will only work in your 360 and your 360 will only work with that drive. Although I've got no interest in hacking my 360 to run 'backed up' disks, I appreciate the work that people do to discover how these things work. Tools for existing drives allow the firmware key to be read from an existing drive and inserted into the firmware of another. Give it a few months and hopefully these new quiet drives will start showing up second-hand from otherwise dead boxes and the tools will improve to allow inserting your drive key onto these drives. So there's still hope for those of us with noisy drives and a bit of hack-savviness :D

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Mine, er, did that without any tampering... :eek:

13. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I just read an article on www.gamepro.com

It says that all Xbox360's manufactured after Nov 2006 have the new BenQ VAD6038 drives that replaces the old Toshiba ones. My Xbox360 was manufactured in Dec 2006 and it's definately quieter than my first one that broke. But, I don't find it as quiet as a regular DVD player, I can still hear it, it's just not as loud as before.

14. ericsthename macrumors regular

Haha, you have my name! Hello erickkoch, im eric koch...

15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Well, I've been on these forums (and on Earth) longer than you so you'll have to change your name.

Sincerely,

Erick Koch :D